Camper Conversion

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moosemaniac, Jan 5, 2007.

1. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

We have an old camper on our property that we used to stay in on weekends before we moved out here. I got to thinking about converting the thing either into a chicken tractor or a stock trailer. I plan to cannibalize the kitchen for the goat barn. Fridge in the feed room for meds, stove, sink, hot water heater, etc., in the milk house for cheese. Anyone have any ideas?

Ruth

2. gspig

gspig Well-Known Member

portable tool room? I wouldn't trust the frame to be strong enough for a stock trailer.

3. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Maybe the chicken tractor then. We'd use the trailer frame, but build a complete new coop on top.

Ruth

4. dave85

dave85 dave85

You can never have enough trailers in my opinion.
    But, in reality, it would do better as a chicken tractor.
    If it's old, to redo the brakes to be safe has always been the stopper on my trailer projects.
    I made one for sheep only and it worked OK. 7x20. I used it to move from pasture down the road a few miles to another pasture, never on the highway.
    Dave

5. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Dave, talking about trailers. I had a Camper I bought for $50 years ago. I used it as a storage building for years. It was in bad shape, but didn't leak. About 7 years ago I moved it into the edge of the woods. It sit there for 5 years. I tried to give it away---no one wanted it. I bought a sawmill and was going to cut some lumber 20ft long and needed a longer trailer. Mine was 8ft I check the price on 16ft trailers, mercy they cost a lot. I happen to ride by the camper and it Hit me----I went and got a winch and a sledge hammer. I beat all the outside walls loose, pulled the camper hull away from the floor with the winch. Had me a 19ft long trailer in less than a hour. It would not haul a tractor, but I use it All the time around the farm, stacking Heavy Green sawed lumber on it. Still got the wood floor. I did nothing to it but pull the nails that were sticking up. I can't believe I was trying to give away a 19ft flat bed trailer. Randy

6. jennigrey

jennigrey Well-Known Member Supporter

You mean travel trailer and not camper, right? A camper sits in the bed of the truck...

I use a camper to store all my horse gear to protect it from rats. We have a second one for guests to stay in (the house only has one bedroom, unless they want to sleep with all of our junk and the dogs in the utility room). The camper is lavishly appointed and, being that it only has an 8' floor, it's cheap to stuff it full of nice things.

I've seen people use travel trailers to store feed in. Fairly easy to keep them rodent-free.

How long is the trailer and how many axles? The weight rating of the axles and tongue will tell you whether it's worth rebuilding it as a stock trailer.

If you use it for a chicken tractor you might keep part of the box as a hatching room.

7. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

You got a point--I was thinking Camper/travel trailer. Around here every one calls the Travel Trailers---Campers---LOL and the camper that goes in the back of the truck-----a slide in camper. Randy

8. jennigrey

jennigrey Well-Known Member Supporter

My family was in the RV repair business for years. Sorry if I got a little snooty about the camper/trailer thing.