Camper Brake trouble, Help!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ohhappyday, Apr 23, 2005.

1. ohhappyday

ohhappyday New Member

I bought a 1985 Nomad 24 ft camper. We moved it the other day no problem, moved it to a different spot today and two wheels are locked up. Any ideas what to do? Is it the brakes? How do I fix them? HELP!!!

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

These are electric brakes aren't they? Are you moving the camper with the same vehicle each move? Is there a breakaway emergency battery operated brake mechanism on the tongue?

3. paden

paden Well-Known Member

Do the wheels lock up without the trailer plugged into the pickup?

If they lockup without being plugged in, the most likely cause is wheel bearings. If they only lock up when plugged in then the brakes are miswired either on your pickup or the trailer itself or the brake controller on your pickup is set too high.

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............Regardless of the cause of the problem You're going to have to jackup Both sets of axles , remove ALL the wheels and Pull the Hubs and Inspect all 4 sets of brakes . The electro magnets on each wheel have NO POLARITY . They will work regardless of which wire(on the magnet) is connected to the positive lead(from the brake controller) that supplies voltage from the Tow vehicle to all 4 wheels . IF , you are going to do the work yourself , I would encourge you to replace all 4 sets of races and Bearings and install NEW brakes shoes , magnets and have ALL 4 hubs turned on a brake lathe . Proper maintenance on this old OF a trailer has probably been neglected and NOW it's Time to pay the "Piper" would be my recommendation . To do Otherwise could mean your trailer brakes won't work when you encounter an emergency and place your family in a dangerous situation . ..fordy... :)

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Fordy, If the fulltime hot wire is connected to the brake wire on the trailer then the brakes would be on 100 % of the time. He needs to see if it will roll without the electrical connection connected to the trailer. He also needs to determine the emergency breakaway battery is not having the trailer brakes activated. :)

6. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

............True!! , I guess I got alittle ahead of myself . fordy.. :)

7. ohhappyday

ohhappyday New Member

My brother in law found a small cable with a rod hooked on it. Is that the break away cable? Its in bad shape. So I have to get a new one, dont know how it got pulled out. How do I put in the new one?

8. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

there should be some type of small box or thing that the rod goes in to and should be replaceable, or reusable, all it does is hold open to electrical contacts, and there should be a small box some where with a battery, that powers the break away breaks, the switch should be some where on the tongue of the trailer, usually the box with the battery is located there too,

some pictures of the break away, (as if taken out of the box to assemble on to a trailer), http://www.etrailerpart.com/mywebs/myweb/catalog/breakaway_kits_175744_products.htm

more than likely if there is not a small battery box and switch thing with wires coming out of it, you do not have a breakaway, (i don't remember what year they were "standard" or required by the DOT,)

like stated jack up and see what is locked up, and if it has been activated this many days, (breakaway) the battery is probably dead by now , and if left in a state of discharge it will ruin the battery,