camp stoves and instant hot water camp shower questions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sancraft, Jun 6, 2006.

1. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

you're probably not supposed to, but i have used camp stoves (like coleman) indoors without a problem. i've even used the one-burner type that just screws onto a bottle pf propane inside a tent, for cooking and heat, but i bet that is really discouraged. if you are in a small space, maybe crack a window while you used it? i always make sure i disconnect the bottle from the stove when done cooking, because they do leak.

can't say about the shower. i always found it easier to take sponge baths.

about the water being potable- unless you are way back in the GA mountains, surrounded by nothing but pristine forest, no wild water should be considered potable. you can probably use it for everything except drinking and cooking. that water should probably come from another source.

3. daycab

daycab Well-Known Member

The shower is a good temporary alternative to no shower at all. We strung a tarp across the inside corner of an old building to form our shower room, so I,m not sure about using it indoors.The pump on the model we used ran off of 4 D cell batteries as I recall. It is not a high volume pump. A small RV type 12 volt pump might work better for filling barrels. You could recharge it in your vehicle while driving.

4. d37fan

d37fan Well-Known Member

Using a camping stove indoors is not a problem. Most camping stoves have two burners, thus you have 1/2 the amount of open flames minus the oven putting off Carbon Monoxide. I used a white gas stove for two years before I got my kerosene cook stove, and had no problems. As for the shower, I use a weed sprayer with a longer hose on it so I only have to heat 1/2 a gallon of water for a 1 gallon shower. The 1 gallon of water is plenty for me.

5. sancraft

I would send the water through some sort of filtering system. It's definately not potable in it's current state. It's okay for doing laundry, watering animals and garden, but not bathing, drinking or dishes. I was just wondering it the pump would be strong enough to draw water from the creek to fill barrels.

6. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Below is a photo of our cabin. As you can see, there is a liquid-fuel Coleman stove that is used right there on the countertop. I've used it there for years with no problems. The only thing I do is always fill the empty tank outside for safety sake.
    [​IMG]

For showers, buy yourself a $15 garden sprayer (2 to 3 gallon size) and a dish-rinsing nozzle for $3. Remove the wand from the garden sprayer and replace it with the dish-rinsing nozzle. Heat the water on your Coleman stove to about 110ºF and pour it into the garden sprayer. Pump pressure into the sprayer and viola! you have a pressurized hot shower that uses no electricity and doesn't cost you $159.99! I've used this set up for years! ANd here's a photo of WIHH taking a shower using the garden sprayer: (can you tell that I'm now in BIG trouble!)
    [​IMG]

7. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Sancraft: Dont you have any of those hot water shower bags you can buy in any camping supply dept? The look like a big hot water bottle but are black rubber with a handle and a spray nozzle. You fill them up and hang them in the sun and they get nice and hot. When you are ready to shower just screw open the nozzle and shower. One of those bags will be enough for a decent shower particularly if you wash first in a basin or bucket and just use the shower bag for rinsing and doing your hair. I even hang one up next to my dry kitchen sink and use it to rinse the dishes as I wash them. About the cheapest shower solution I know and less trouble then boiling water and transferring it to sprayers of various sorts. Check them out. :)

8. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

CABIN: What sort of covered dish do you want me to bring to the funeral supper. YOu are in really really big trouble and suggest you hide the camera pronto. Payback could be really bad for this one. :rolleyes: :baby04:

9. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

a few years ago i bought a simple hotwater heater that a person can just place on the stove or in a campfire, the design was simple and at the time i just figured it was easier to buy it than build it..... but if a person takes a five gallon bucket, drills a hole in the side near the bottom [cold water out] and another about a 1/3 to 1/2 way up [hot water in] and attaches a leangth of copper pipe 1/4 inch by 10 feet long [one or two coils in the middle to place on the fire or on a stovetop] the heat circulates the water as hot water rises to the top of the bucket the cold water goes thru the copper coil.... doesnt take very long and you have hot water..... a bbq could also be used if you have aplce to set the bucket.... add a spigot to the bucket and you have a nice resivoir of hot water to use, and if you do it on a like a hot plate you can cook dinner at the same time and have water to wash dishes with!!! ok so you wanted a shower.

When i was living on 12 volt in a rock quarry 10 years ago, we had a solar shower we hung in a treewhich had a limb just the right hieght.... but the solar shower was never enough, so we boiled waer on the stove, and mixed it in with cold water in a 5 gallon coleman drinking jug [blue square one] which had a spigot on it as well, it sat right up on that limb and we had us a shower of sorts..... at least it was better than a wet sponge.

The zodi camp shower and its sister system of heaters is a neat setup, but intended for short term use and would most likely not give you the daily use you are after..... what you may find is that finding an old RV that has a shower, holding tank and pressure pump might be about the same pricetag and adding the rv propane water heater shouldnt cost very much more at all. You might even buy an old camp trailer and scrap it out [it isnt as hard as building your own cabin!] some folks in certain parts of the country even give them away just have to tow them off. Look to www.vanguardpipe.com for a really neat product line to plumb it all in.... the camp trailer i tore apart last winter had it installed cause it was easier to run than copper pipe, and the same goes for your cabin it would be easy to put it in if you did not already have plumbing.....

Propane stoves indoors..... yes you can use one indoors, but you MUST USE VENTILATION open a door or window, propane stoves are in cnstant use throughout the civilzed world, most are near a vent that exchanges inside and outside air.... camp soves are not different than the big brother propane stoves, but they all need ventilation. As for the small one always leaking i have not heard of such, it may happen if used often, and well things wear and you have to watch for wear patterns, perhaps using a 20 pound cylander [or bigger] of propane would stop the leakage problem occuring on a new unit.....

as for using the zoi to pump water from the crick to your holding tank, again probably not in the design to work it that hard, and an RV pump such as a Shurflo can be had at expensive RV stores for around $70 starting price for the small pumps they make quite a few different ones for varying applications of use. As was pointed out a person can use their car battery but it would be prudent to have a second battery in the case you dont drive everyday and the battery gets to low to start the vehicle, it would also be prudent to invest in a 'dual battery isolator" and 2 deep cycle batteries and swap one out and use the car charging system to charge the batteries one at a time, you may also find you do not drive enough to keep the batteries charged so investing in a solar charger would aid in the charging, but a small genset would do the job better ..... yeah i know more dollars than you want to spend but better to have a plan lined out than to spend twice the dollars for half the use. The little things that make life easier are always just a little more than we have a budget for it seems, but if anything worth doing is worth doing right and worth doing it only once.....

edited to add that a search for Zodi on ebay puts the bigger unit at $300.00, and at the same time it came up with an insulated jug that is nothing more than a 2 gallon hudsen type pump sprayer with the insulation added..... hot water in a hudsen sprayer isnt a bad idea, and it may be enough to get a persons hair all rinsed out..... i have never tried one.... but as long as you buy a new one it wont have had any chemicals in it that could hurt you [ok pcbs excepted from the plasitic itself]

Blu3duk the free radical

William
    central Idaho

10. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

A few years ago we were invited to a friends cabin in the mountains. Beautiful creek meandering about...had to cross it to get to the cabin.

I'll never forget, the day we were leaving, when they emptied the camp toilet into a pit privy, and then WASHED IT OUT IN THE CREEK! AS we left, I watched that creek, since it followed the road. Some distance downstream there were kids playing in that water.

Filtering isn't good enough to kill those germs. Get your water elsewhere!

Meg

11. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

Sancraft: I just went upstairs for coffee and the our old office coffee urn inspired me. You can probably find one of those old electric coffee urns, the big ones that they use to serve and make coffee in church halls and public meetings. They take awhile to heat up but would provide a useful source of hot water in your little cabin all day. No good for showers but would be like a mini hot water tank. Just set it on the counter next to the sink. You could probably get one dirt cheap at a yard sale or second hand store. An industrial sized restaurant one would be just the thing.

12. KindredSpirit

KindredSpirit Well-Known Member

I use a Big Berkey to filter my house water. This will filter even pond water. I fill it at night so I have water for the next day. It holds about 2.5 gallons, so enough to cook with and drink. When you refill it it takes maybe an hour or two to filter through for other use. Might be an idea for you. From what I understand they are used by Unicef in third world countries. Here's a link:

http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/pro...=148&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=big+berkey

They aren't cheap but the filters don't have to be replaced frequently like some. I think I read somewhere that using lake water you would need to replace the filters about once a year and using household tap water replacement would be about once every 2-3 yrs.

13. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Sandra, that pump will clog and wear out rapidly if you try to pump from the creek. Get a submersible utility pump such as this one:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200311431_200311431

Pump the water to a slow sand filter that you can make yourself for very little cash outlay. If I can find the plans again, I'll post them. I had them on here once, but they were lost in the great crash.

The sand filter should remove all the contaminants from the creek, but you can still pasturize the water for drinking.

You can use a camp stove in the house. It is not that much different than a regular propane stove that people use in the house.

I have used a bucket for years to bath. Stand in the shower, pour hot water over yourself, soap, rinse, not a big deal. Not as much a luxury as a reg shower, but gets you just as clean. And you aren't tempted to run all the water out of the hot water heater, just daydreaming or relaxing! LOL

You can also make a very nice outside shower with a coil of hose in the sun using a pump to push the water thru. Use your own ingenuity to come up with something workable for you.

14. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

Oh, man! Cabin, you are in BIG trouble. mmm mmm MM!
    I wouldn't want to be in you shoes, buster. :grump: :D

15. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Do you have power?

16. sancraft

We have a temporary electric pole. Right now we heat water on the electric 2 burner in a stock pot and use a basin and the big tin tub. You get clean, but it would be nice to have a shower. We joined the Y and work out on the days that I go to Atlanta to work, so we shower there on those 3 days. It takes a while to heat the water for baths and dishes. I was looking for a faster way to heat and also without using the electric. I have a window AC and can't run much with the air on. I try and cook for the day in the morning while it's cool enough to not run the air. But without insulation and days in the 90's and humid, we have to have AC. With the AC running I can only run one burner or it trips the switch. I'd like to be able to cook a full meal at one time. That's why I was thinking about a propane stove and propane oven.

17. Pigeon Lady

Pigeon Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

I can see cabin now.. full body cast and wired up jaw!

It wont be pretty!

Pauline

18. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

Go to a junk yard or ask on freecycle for an old trailer or camper. Get the small water heater and tank out of it.
    http://www.freecycle.org/

19. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

along with freecycle you might try http://www.craigslist.com/ the nearest place listed for you might have free or barter or afordable stuff you might could use.

another system you can use is a wood box with foil paper on the bottom [reflector] black plastic water pipe coiled in the box and a piece of glass over the top. Placed in the sun you will pert near boil water. probably can find plans in the archives of Mother earth news from years ago.... I think there was one fella profiled in there that used old radiators to heat his house with the sun focused just right as well.

Find one of those old c band satelite dishes, and use to create a focal point for boiling water by lining the dish with reflective foil paper, the parabolic mirror will super heat water in heartbeat to steam if you want it even in the dead of winter in northern climates. again if its free then its better to try to put it to use..... of course it might be one of those projects that never seems to get done the way you envision it.....

As far as cooking during the heat, throw up a blue tarp outside for shade, and cook outside.... that has become all the rage now with a whole line of outdoor appliances being sold to the yuppies.... and it keeps the heat outside, when funds get to where you can afford it get a screened unit to keep all the bugs inside of it!!!..... i mean outside of it. anyhow a couple of washers and sheetrock screws will keep the tarp secure to the house/cabin and a couple of poles [2x4's] on the outside corners with nails to go thru the gromets and a couple of tie down ropes [550 paracord from the sporting good shop] and the tarp will stay up til you have a wind that rips it off and will support snow in the high country [we use 5 poles in the high country to put up a tarp for cooking under] i know you dont have to worry about snow there espeacially this time of year [greenhouse effect excepted] but even a propane cook unit outside would allow you to heat water during the day.

Still yet another central idaho shower option is a black plastic 55 gallon barrel set up on a stout wooden platform, water pumped into it and heated by the sun, pipe hooked into the side near the bottom with a bal valve attached to turn on and off, makeshift shower with a hand held shower attachment add on..... of course you need a pump to get the water into the unit, the shurflo 12 volt 2.4 gallon per minute would work for a transfer pump if you have another barrel and a way to get it from the crick to the porch full or part full of water......

William

20. praise4him

praise4him Well-Known Member

Cabin,
    I will be happy to sing at your funeral. That was thin ice you just tread on....How does amazing grace sound? Love the cabin pic!!
    Blessings,
    Jennifer