Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have few computer skills. It has been requested that I have a video camera set up with the feed going to the internet so members of a forum can witness the birth of goats and calves.
I am starting basically from scratch.
I need to find a reasonably priced video camera (cheaper than $100 is ideal, but I understand you get what you pay for).
I need to set it up in a bank barn that is about 300-350 feet from the house. Either using cable, but preferably wireless. There is a phone line down there, as well as electrical lines, of course.
We just now have DSL for one of our internet services (still have the dial up as well until our contract runs out).
I have no idea how I would go about then providing the feed on the internet.
I realize this is an incredibly in depth question and I would greatly appreciate any help I could get. Be it suggestions for the camera type, whether cable or wireless is better, places where I could link my video feed, etc.
Thanks a lot! I know a number of people that would be greatful if I can get this together and functioning soon.
Does start kidding the 13th and the cows start calving the 25th.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
15,463 Posts
Does it have to be displayed real time?

What I mean is, could you use something like a Flip Cam to record it, and then use your computer in the house to upload it? This would be the easiest way to go.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I kinda like the idea of having a running camera to check throughout the night as well...rather than having to bundle up and trek down there in the wind and the cold. I attend all births, so I suppose I could just video tape it and then upload it, but I kinda figured if we were going to go to the expense of a camera, may as well make it beneficial. lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was chatting with a few ppl on this site and asked how hard it was to set one up and they said with the help of this site it was extremely easy. I dont know what that means but the people on this site are very friendly and helpful. I have been watching a few truck drivers that broadcast from the truck as they go down the road. kinda interesting if you have nothing else to do. And one guy has one watching his feeder that deer come to. Some just chat etc. All G rated cams so no worries about seeing the wrong things on the forum you mentioned. I would go to the site and see the difference in cams. Some are better than others you can see that yourself. Maybe there is a FAQ that will better answer your questions. but if a truck driver can broadcast from his moving truck i would think three hundred feet to the barn should be possible. Anyway here is the link. make sure you post a link when you get it up and running. I would like to check it out.

http://www.camstreams.com/peoplewebcams.asp

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have personally set up some of the D-Link wireless cameras to do something similar. You may want to check those out. They start at prices around $150+ and seem to work well.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the information!
With the Wireless camers I found it says it doesn't need to be hooked up to a computer...with those, how do you get the information onto the inrnet? I'm pretty sure Wireless is not available everywhere and would doubt it is available here. They mentioned something about Ethernet? I looked it up and was horribly confused. If using the Ethernet, would that then need to be hooked up to a computer to get the images onto the internet?
Thanks!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Wireless means 802.11b generally and you can go into it in a web browser by IP address like http://192.168.1.x if its on your home network. Same way with ethernet but you would have to run the wire to your switch/router. As for the direct feeds to a webpage you could actually open ports in your router and use dyndns or something to allow people to see it from anywhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts