Camera opinions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by .netDude, Dec 27, 2006.

1. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

I've been reading reviews on digital camera's, and think I've narrowed it down to the Canon a630 or the Kodak p880. Both got really good reviews, the Kodak comes with a 24mm wide angle lens and supports RAW and TIFF formats, the Canon gets high scores overall.
    Anyone own either of these that could provide an opinion?
    Thanks!

2. Pizza Guy

Pizza Guy Well-Known Member

Central California between Fresno & Bakersfield
    I've got the Canon Elph S500 for quick point & shoot picture taking and it has been a great camera. The Canon P200 printer has been very problematic though.

My son has one of the Kodak "docking" cameras and the printer with that setup has been very problematic too. Both the aforementioned printers think they are out of supplies when in fact they aren't.

For higher end photo taking, I got a Nikon D80 for Christmas. That camera is fantastic. Yes, pricier, but well worth it.

3. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

yeah, nice camera, but outta my price range.
    Thanks!

4. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

I would go with the Canon. Main reason is the battery--Kodak uses a lithium ion batterym, and the Canon uses AA batteries, the most common battery in the world. For $30 or so you can get a Ray-O-Vac charger with car adapter and 4 NiMH batteries for the Canon, get more NiMH cheap almost anywhere, and in an emergency you can use regular AA flashlight batteries.

I have an older model Canon that looks a lot like the A630, I don't recall the model, and I got it because of batteries and because it fit my hand well. A lot of the cameras were awkward to use, as I would accidently hit a button or control and shut it off, or block the flash, or cover the lens, on some cameras. I am assuming that you have tried out the actual cameras that you are considering to avoid these kinds of problems. I found that a real camera store let me try the camera with a memory card in it and without a chain or cable attached to the camera like the big box stores use for security purposes. And the camera store price was just as good as Best Buy and other big electronics stores.

5. titansrunfarm

titansrunfarm The Awesome PT & Friends

I have a Kodak DX7590 and absolutely love it. I use a HP D7360 printer with it, upgraded from photosmart 1215 (Thanks Santa!) and I get awesome pics.

6. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

I have a 3 year-old NIKON 8700 -- love it, love the 8MP, the tilt view screen -- it will be very hard to give that feature up when I move up to the next level of digital SLR camera, which dosen't have that great feature yet.

Nancy just got the new NIKON S9 Coolpix, and loves the big view finder, and super slim case, super easy navigation and operation, 6 MP, chrome ends, great pics.

I of course want the D40, or 50, or may be the 80, or in-my-dreams the D2H, etc. OH WELL.

Lots of good digital and digital-SLR cameras out there.

Good Luck,

Alex