calves with selenium defiency

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Amymay, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Amymay

Amymay Member

I recently bought 3 calves from a dairy farm that are 2 weeks old. They all have the selenium deficiency with the knuckled over front hooves. At birth they received colostrom, Bo-Se, and vitamin A-D. The herd manager said he has given them another 2 ml of Bo-Se a week later and that I could give them another 2ml in a couple of days. Any other suggestions? Will they outgrow this? They have splints on now, are they any help? Thank you!!

2. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I've only encountered this a few times and I would certainly follow the instructions you were given. If the calves are generally healthy and active I feel they will outgrow the problem. I have never used splints because I just figured the muscles would grow stronger with use but that is not a vet diagnosis.

3. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Do you know for a fact that these calves are selenium deficiant or are you taking somebody elses word for it?

Cheers,
    Ronnie

4. Amymay

Amymay Member

Thank you for the advice. They sure are pushy when it comes come to eat!

5. Amymay

Amymay Member

When I talked to the vet they seemed to know what I was talking about with the sypmtoms. I just wondered how long it takes them to recover because it sure looks like it would be uncomfortable and sometimes even painful.

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

All calves that I have seen with the curled front legs/feet seemed to be large calves that were in cramped quarters and within a brief time after being born self corrected with exercise. I would not be too concerned.

7. Amymay

Amymay Member

8. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

agmantoo, we see the same in foals of mares that are overly fat right before foaling.

9. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

That's why I asked if these calves were actually selenium deficient as I've had both lambs and calves born with the problem and the reason has been as Agman says. I think you may find these calves will come right on their own.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

10. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales