Calves - to sell or not to sell...

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Kat, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Kat

Kat Well-Known Member

I have 8 calves (5 born in January) weighing between 400-600 lbs. Last night at a local auction, beef cattle prices are up. On August 5th a local farmer is selling his herd (? how many?) of Charolais & Charolais X cattle at the regular Thursday night auction. Do you think I should take my mixed breed beef cattle the same night the Charolais will be sold; will it benefit my $ (due to hype of sale) or hinder my $ (Standard breed vs mixed), or should I wait till a later date? In general, when do the prices for beef cattle start going back down? Can you tell I'm a newbie to cattle? I know your input will help my decision.

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

If you knew what cattle prices are going to be in two months you could get wealthy in a hurry. Feeders usually stay up through the weaning season. Up here many farmers who feed out some calves usually buy them when most of the corn and beans are harvested. They then have more time to do all the things nessesary to care for them. The buyers here will pay more per pound for angus cross calves than they will for charolais or pure herfords either one. The thing that could affect your total amount is how much weight they will gain if you have plenty of pasture to carry them until cold weather. They could gain nearly 200 pounds before it freezes. Even if you loose a dime per pound from now until then the gross amount will be more.
    Be aware that I never got rich with beef cattle.

3. angus_guy

angus_guy Well-Known Member

The price of beef "should" go down as the supply on the market increases due calfes being weaned and pasture going dormant for the year usually in south central TN that is First to mid November (coincides with first heavy frost) I would guess from my recollection of College @ WKU that is by Holloween in your neck of the woods. I personally will sell my calves ( some holstein, mostly angus ) by the end of Sept but I have fall calves

4. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

We are wanting to sell quite a few head of cows and calves. One consideration for us is that we don't saturate our sale barn on any given day. There are only so many buyers and we worry that taking a bunch down on one day will end up with lower prices as everyone will already have what they want.

Look at the volume of buyers at your sale vs. the volume of cattle from the one guy. If there's too many, prices will drop as people buy what they really weren't looking for, but can't pass up a bargain. If there aren't enough to meet the demand, then you'll come out ahead.

Cattle are not that different than going to Las Vegas. You take your best shot and the chips will fall where they may.

Jena

5. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

You might want to think about breeding up, Plan now for next yr.If you have heifers are they worth keeping?? what breed sells best in your area? Also A. I. is a option to think about.