Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 little calves less then a month old are realy feeling the heat and I need ideas.They have shade,plenty of water and i have been giving them an extra bottle of electrolytes at noon but they seem not to be handleing this heat.We have been over 95 now for a week and looking like another week now.Its 4:15 and its 96 out.What about hosing them off?

·
Udderly Happy!
2,866 Posts
Critters actually handle the heat better than we think. Since they are in the elements all day and night, they see a gradual body temperature change. On a hot or cold day, we walk outside our 70 degree home and say, "man, it's hot/cold out here!".
Although I'm not sayig they can't get heat stress, it's normal for them to appear panting and hot during the summer months. But, calves, just like children don't handle it as well as adults. It probably wouldn't hurt to have a fan on them or a soaker hose.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
way less activity,almost none.Mouths open,eyes droppy,ears low would almost say dehydration but gums are good color,skin does not pinch and hold I think its just to darn hot and humid.

·
Retired farmer-rancher
3,021 Posts
Unless there are other factors involved the calves should easily handle 95 degree weather. Plenty of water and shade are the main requirments, A fan to move the air would be a good addition, especially if they are inside a building where there is little air movement. A mist blower would help even more. Hosing them shouldn't be necessary. Do they drink water on their own?
Looking back at your post,,,I worry about the droopy ear bit. Are these calves otherwise healthy? You may have other things going on,, not the heat. Can you take a temp reading on the calves?

·
Dairy Farmer
119 Posts
The main thing to watch out for is pneumonia. The best thing is just watch and I would give them a shot of pen-g just on general principles. And make sure it is fresh water daily. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts