Calling all wives! Do you screen hubby's incoming calls?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by valschickens, Nov 16, 2006.

1. valschickens

valschickens Big Brother's Watching

I'm referring to those nasty telemarketers. Last night a "cellular call" came in on caller ID but I didn't recognize the number. I picked it up, and a guy asked for my husband. I asked who was calling because normally if I know it's a telemarketer, I just say he's not interested and hang up. But this guy said he "had information regarding his BMG account" (music club), so I handed the phone to hubby.

Big Mistake! :nono:

When he hung up, he yelled "Please don't hand me the phone!! I don't want to talk to those people!!"

Now how in the heck am I supposed to know what he's up to as far as his music is concerned? :shrug: I stated I "wasn't his secretary," and not about to start. :viking:

Do your husbands answer the phone? Do you screen his calls? And do YOU play secretary??

2. stirfamily

stirfamily Well-Known Member Supporter

Seeing how DH never picks up the phone, yes I do.
    karen in Indiana

3. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, I do and have been known to be his secretary on occasion. If someone asks for him, I ask who is calling and what this pertains to.

If it is a telemarketer, I tell him that "they" no longer live here and Roger moved to Wyoming :) .

If it for his work or whatever, I take a message and ask for a phone number. Then, it's up to Roger to take care of it.

4. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

I let the machine screen them. I do not pick up the phone unless I'm expecting a call. It's cheaper here to use cell phones, so my SO has his own phone and I see no reason to pick it up either.

5. slnj

slnj Well-Known Member

I let the machine do it, he HATES to talk on the phone. I did it for a while, it ended up being pretty stressful so we got the machine.

~Shelby~

6. Anita in NC

Anita in NC Well-Known Member

90% of the time I let the machine pick up the calls and then only pickup once I have heard who it is and if I want to talk to them.

The rest of the time if I happen to pick up the phone before knowing who it is I would ask who it was that wanted to talk to my hubby and what it is regarding before I hand hubby the phone. (I really did use to be a secretary). If the person misrepresented themselves or their need to speak to hubby (i.e. telemarketers) he'll let them have it.

Hubby never answers the phone unless his knows who it is.

7. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Our house phones do not ring. If someone calls and wants to leave a message fine. I'll check messages and decide if I want to call them back. If someone in the family needs to reach us they call our cell phone number. Makes life much more peaceful around here. I hate to be interrupted by a ringing phone.

8. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

Yes! And I screen my bosses as well.

I usually will not pick-up the phone unless I know the number.

9. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

I do, because neither of us wants to encourage telemarketers. However, if one slips by me, he doesn't yell at me for it, he's capable of getting rid of them himself.

10. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

Most of our bills are in my wife's name. That way when they call and ask for her, I hand the phone to my 2 year old and she babbles with them until they decide to hang up. We don't have many repeat callers!!!

11. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

Why don't you just register your number with the Do Not Call list?

12. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't screen, per se, but I find it rude when people call and there's just a "May I speak to _____" Or a "Speak to ____" without even identifying themselves.
    Sometimes I handle pesky telemarketers for him, tho, as he's a sweetie who will be patient with rudeness and demands, whereas I get rude right back.
    The guilt trips when they call REALLY bother me, we don't have much, and like to give to actual people or local organizations when we can, not some jerk calling from who-knows-where, thank you very much.

13. WindowOrMirror

WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

If she wants her calls screened for creditors and telemarketers she'll screen mine too.

If we don't know who it is we don't answer it.

R

14. asher

asher Well-Known Member

ditto

15. tamatik

tamatik Well-Known Member

my wife just hands the fone 2 me and I deal with it..She also once chekt my bank statement and asked"What were you doing at Best WEstern?"(thats a motel chain.)I told her I never been to one and she pointed out the transaction on the bank statement.I still plead inocence.She called the best western and inquired and they told her it wasn,t the motel but the liquor store..(big sigh of releif) I had stopped at a likker store that apparently was owned by BW.She told them they should change to their own name.
    talk about dodgeing a bullet.How can you argue with the bank statement?
    Gord in BC

16. jd4020

jd4020 Well-Known Member Supporter

I often act as my dh secretary. When someone calls for him or now, it happens to be for our daughters, I just say, "They're busy, may I take a message?" They usually hang up. We do have an answering machine and I do use it.
    Sometimes I'll just leave the computer online. If someone needs to get ahold of me, they call the cell phone. Seems to work real well.

17. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

DH has his own cell phone. I don't answer it. So no, I don't screen for him. I answer the house phone when telemarketers call. I put them on hold. The longest one has held was a little over 20 minutes. :duel:

18. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

That is sooo funny!

19. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
  20. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Let me get this straight -- *HE* signed up for one of those annoying music club things, which are notorious for not only hassling you constantly, but selling your contact info to OTHER people who call and hassle you to buy stuff you never expressed any interest in... and then he yelled at *YOU* for not dealing with it? For not screening his calls for "those people"??

I think I'd be doing a bit more than telling him I wasn't his secretary. I'd be passing along a little wisdom that he is apparently lacking about the "role" of a wife -- what it is, and what it ABSOLUTELY is NOT.

If he isn't capable of dealing with the calls by saying "no thank you, and don't call me any more" when they call and ask FOR HIM, then he shouldn't be signing up for their "deals".