Calling All Parents of Autistic Children!

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Kellkell, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Kellkell

Kellkell Well-Known Member

One of the doctors that I work with, his son was just recently diagnosed with moderate to severe autism. He is 2 1/2 years old. While obviously his dad knows what autism is, pediatrics is not his specialty and frankly all the medical knowledge in the world doesn't always help when you're on the other end of the stethoscope.

Anyway, I was hoping that some of you parents of childrens with autism could let me know of some websites that him and his wife can look over. Especially anything relating to different therapies that are being used and/or investigated, organizations that can help direct them, things that they can do at home, support groups, etc. Anything would be great. :angel:

Right now they are trying to gather all the information they can. All this on top of their house just burned down two months ago. I think it was soon after that their son stopped making eye contact with his mother. Again, anything that you can give me to pass along to him would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I asked my 12 year old (He has Aspergers) why he looked away from people some of the time. He said that sometimes looking at people was "too intense".

In other words, when he feels under stress he decreases the stress by not making eye contact.

Having ones house burn down will put ANYBODY under stress, autism or no! So will having to move! I would say that the stress of the fire is making the symptoms worse.

His parents musn't feel rejected by this: he is trying to calm himself when he does not look at people! Sometimes an autistic child is so tense he cannot STAND himself, and sometimes a persons face is TOO stimulating!

When my son is under stress he will sometimes want a hug, but not to look at me. Making eye contact USUALLY occurs when he is relaxed!

Oh, yes.

An EXCELLENT parent support group is www.conductdisorders.com . They are a support group for parents and caregivers of ALL gfg's (Gifts From God), and they are AMAZING! They DEFINATELY look at things from the other side of the stethescope! There are other groups that will do a better job with autism, but these folks give advice about schools, talking with doctors, neighbors, behavior problems and modification, and so forth!

3. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

I have Asperger's and one of my favorite sites is wrongplanet.net. I have read stacks of books on autism, and I'll tell you right now that many of them are just dreck. They are written by people who obviously haven't the faintest clue of what it is like to be autistic, and the solutions are based of misconceptions, so I really doubt that they're useful except as moral support.

Autism is a neurological difference of the brain. We are wired differently. There is crosswiring where your brain doesn't have it (synesthesia), lots of wiring where yours have less, and less where your is more developed (social skills, facial recognition). I've read that in some of us, parts of the brain are not there (such as the superior olive)! Do diet cures and chelation therapy and various cures that border on torture aren't going to cure it any more than they'd grow us a new brain.

I think your best bet is to read everything by Temple Grandin that you can get your hands on, as well as Nobody Nowhere by Donna Williams. I also have a lot of URLs to various aspie and autistic blogs and websites if you're interested, and am willing to answer any questions you have from our side of things. I think that oneof the most importantthings you can do, which most parents of auties do not, is to accept and love your child for who he or she is. There is not some social, demostrative, normal child locked away in us that you have to unearth. We are what we are. It's very damaging to make an auties kid feel that they are defective or that their autism is bad, because it is an integral part of us. Unlike mental illness, you can't take away the autism and keep the essence od who we are.That's why it's called "pervasive".

Two of my kids are slated to be evaluated this month.

4. chamoisee

eye contact perceived as threat in autistic brains

It hurts us to make direct eye contact. It's almost like a physical pain.

5. Terri

As the Mother of a child with Aspergers, this sounds about right. My son is WAAY ahead of his peer group in some ways, and WAAY behind in others.

In other words, he made the honor role last quarter, but his closest friend is 8 years old to his 12. Because social skills are harder, he learns them more slowly.

That's OK, I am glad he *IS* learning social skills, with the help of a therapist!

He is a whole and competant child: His only REAL problem is understanding the world around him. His abilities are impressive, but, what he is doing does not mesh well with the people around him because he does not understand the people around him!

6. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I have a friend that has a ds with Autisim. She's been working hard at detoxing her ds as well as the rest of her family. She swears by this company, http://ssl.maxamlabs.com/MAXAM_ASP_Home.asp and she says they don't do any pressure selling. She says they are more than happy to take calls and just discuss things. Reese

7. Terri

HUH!

I will have to ask him when he wakes up. He stayed up late to see the New Year come in.

8. Kellkell

Kellkell Well-Known Member

Thank you!

I'll pass this info along. I'm absolutely sure the fire aggravated any symptoms he was having that his parents may have been trying to explain away. Once things calm down a little bit I will have to tease his dad that now him and his wife are going to turn into the parents/family of patients that he usually tries to avoid.

9. chamoisee

Oh- the fire. Auties of any stripe have a lot of difficulty dealing with change. This can be true even when the change is positive. When I was a kid, moving was really hard on me....I would go into a depression for a few weeks where I hardly ate, stayed holed up in my room (which would have almost nothing in it, arranged very methodically) and otherwise go to great pains to exercise extreme control over my environment (made me feel secure again).

Eye contact- the strange thing is that the most intense, most disagreeable eye contact there is, is when I am attracted to a guy. It feels almost like an electrical shock, but in my eyes/brain.