Calling all Handymen and Carpenters

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by FolioMark, Apr 24, 2006.

1. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Well once again the best laid plans have been scuttled through no fault of my own. For nearly a year now, one thing or another has prevented me and my usual crew of wood butchers from going down to my place in Missouri. The house has half a roof on it and we need to finish it up. Id do it myself if I could but I and the wheelchair arent as agile on roofs as we once were. :rolleyes:
    I wasnt too worried about it as Jason my carpenter friend has been living in my rental house in exchange for labor and he owes me about 28 days of work in lieu of rent. See how easy I am to get along with. :) I was willing to wait for good weather and until after his gf had her baby last month, but the warm weather is coming and I need to get the work done. So we were all set to leave Tomorrow for a week to ten days of work. THEN CAME THE BIG FIGHT.... :grump: Jason and his girlfriend had a real set too..dishes flying strong language and Jason stormed off last thursday and we havent seen hide nor hair of him since. And we suspect that he got a new job he applied for and they made him start right away despite his promise to me that he would tell them he had a commitment for this week. So Long story not so short,
    here I am ready to go and work, Levi ready to go too, bags packed, material ordered and NO JASON, NO DRIVER, NO VEHICLE. We can get there by bus if we have to but we really really need a few extra hands to get that metal on the roof. Maybe 3-4 days work at most. SOOOOOOOO...

Is there anyone near Lebanon Missouri or willing to travel who might be able to come lend me and Levi a hand with this roof? Got a shiftless BIL that will work for beer? Or a son that wants out of the house? I can afford to pay a bit of salary and will give you room and board and gas money of course. But I got to get this roof on. As it is ,its been a year since we left it half done.....really dont ask......and its time to get things done. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Anyone think I could get a couple of Amish guys to come help out on a piddly little job like that? One way or the other Levi and I are going down there. We both need the time away from here and theres plenty to do but the roof is the main priority. Thanks for your time. :)

2. fricknfarm

fricknfarm Well-Known Member

I don't know about where YOU live but up here the Amish charge $14.00 an hour, they don't work cheap! But they do a great job so you end up ahead in the long run. They built mu house, six years and not a settling crack anywhere. Look on the postings there's a "mobile homesteader" that claims to be a real helper to folks like you just for a place to park for a while. I'll bet they'll be happy to lend you a hand. I'd at least get you there if you were closer, but I'm just about as far from you as one could get and still be in the same state. Maybe a church affiliated youth group might help???

3. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

Ive already had a chat with Obser and his wife...the RV homesteaders. We are planning to get together later this summer for some working and visiting. 14 dollars an hour is cheap where I come from. I used to pay Jason 100/day plus room and board. Good workmen are worth their wages any day in my book.

4. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

Well Jason turned up and crisis averted. We are off to Missouri and will hopefully get lots done. See you all in a week.

5. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

Glad to hear the positive developments.

6. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

What about Jason's girlfriend? Is she still in the picture? Did she get to go to Missouri too. How will they eat without dishes? Enquiring minds want to know...