Calling all culinary homesteaders! Minimalist recipes needed!

Discussion in 'Online Recipe Book' started by AndyJorgen, Jun 25, 2017.

1. AndyJorgen

AndyJorgen Member

Good day-

My garden is undergoing some massive changes in terms of what I'll focus on.

I want to get away from growing a couple ingredients of a recipe, and move towards growing 80-100% of the ingredients in my garden.

Example:
    Sweet potato fries
    - 4 medium sweet potato, cut into fries
    - 2 tsp lemon zest
    - 1/3 cup oil
    - 1/3 cup cilantro
    - 1 clove garlic
    - S&P

I currently grow the entire recipe except S&P in my garden.

Luckily with Florida's long growing season I can grow multiple phases (spring garden, fall garden, and a short Winter garden)

Currently I'm growing:
    Sunflour -this is what I press my veg oil from
    Peanut

Amaranth
    Millet
    Buckwheat
    Chia
    Oats (first time will be this fall)

Peppers, sweet and hot
    Basil
    Rosemarie
    Cilantro & coriander
    Sweet potato
    Onions
    Multiple citrus varieties
    Beans and peas
    Daikon radish

Hoping to get either sugar beets or sugar cane going this year for a sweetener.

Let's also say I can raise my own poultry and eggs.

If you guys have recipes that can be made entirely, or close to, from what I'm growing, I'd be eternally grateful.

I'm also not above adding things to the garden, if they can be used in a multitude of dishes.

2. nobrabbit

nobrabbit Transplanted Tarheel

One of my favorite pizzas is a pesto with fresh tomato or roasted tomato on it with a bit of mozzarella. I have not made it myself but I have seen plenty of recipes online for amaranth pizza dough. The basil you could make pesto with and if you grew tomatoes you would have most of the ingredients except the cheese. Or you could make a Margherita pizza with the amaranth dough, basil and tomato sauce (that you make yourself).

3. Sarah H.

Sarah H. Member

I know this is a bit off topic but I am curious, how are you pressing your sunflower seeds? The tutorials I have seen show equipment that ranges from $80 to $400. What do you use/recommend?

Thanks!

4. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Stir fry onions and cabbage: add soy at the last minute.

Blanch peas while they are still in the pod and those peas will SQUIRT out when you press on them.

Cherry tomatos, of course.

That is all I can think of: you are already growing a LOT!

5. CajunSunshine

CajunSunshine Joie de vivre!

Make hummus with beans, which includes a little bit of homemade peanut butter (which is a fine substitute for tahini). Spread the homemade hummus onto tortillas made with flour from buckwheat, millet, etc. Layer fresh vegetables down the middle of the tortilla and roll it up! Yum!

6. CajunSunshine

CajunSunshine Joie de vivre!

Baked sweet potato, split open lengthwise and topped with a little bit of your favorite homemade sweetener, plus a few chunks of sweet citrus.