Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just opened my bank statement....in each statement there is always a recipe card that is a "Teller Recipe" here is the current one

Peanut Butter Cake

2 C self-rising flour
1-1/2 C sugar
3 eggs
2/3 C veg. oil
1 C buttermilk
1 tsp Vanilla

ICING: 2 C sugar, 1/2 C milk, 1 stick margarine, 2 heaping TBSP peanut butter

Grease and flour sheet cake pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix cake ingredients and pour into pan. Bake 30 minutes. remove and poke holes in cake with fork. While cake is baking, put icing ingredients (except peanut butter) in a heavy boiler. Bring to a rapid boil and continue to cook for 1 minute on medium to high heat. Remove and stir in peanut butter. Pour over cake while hot. Cool 4 hours before serving.

the progression of directions dont seem to make since to me...why would you put the direction of poking the holes in the cake before the ones that say "while the cake is baking"?????? and then how are you to make up the icing while the cake is baking AND get the cake done (complete with holes) before the icing is done....

I think by the ingredients, this is a recipe that I could do but the directions are a little vague to me....

any thoughts?????
Rachel

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PS to JennNY.....the only ingredient for that recipe that I dont have is buttermilk....and I have never bought any in my life (though I know where to find it in the store)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
You can do two things at once, make your icing while the cake is baking, take it out and poke the holes so the icing will go into the holes and it will be very moist,and then let it set awhile and dig in ! Sounds like a good recipe. Top with ice cream.LOL

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
You're right, the directions are vague. I read it through a couple of times to try and get the meaning and I think I got it.

Put your cake in the oven and set the timer for 25 minutes. Get your icing ingredients ready. When the timer goes off, reset for another 5 minutes and start your icing. When the timer goes off, pull out the cake and poke holes in it. Your icing should be ready. If not, pour it over cake when it is ready. If your icing is ready before the cake, it will hold over the hot water.

Does that make any sense?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess that the lady that submitted this recipe has had it for a long time and takes for granted the steps involved in actually making the cake.....and/or had to shorten the recipe to fit on the formatted card that it comes on.

I figured that I could prob wing it IF I had read the directions SEVERAL times BEFORE actually attempting....:shrug:

here were my thoughts

Preheat oven
spray (or grease/flour) pan
mix the sugar with the liquids
add the flour
pour into pan
put in oven

assemble icing ingredients
after about 10 min or so, begin the icing
(it doesnt say to stir the icing or anything--do you?!)

if the cake gets done before the icing--pull out cake and poke holes
if the icing is done before the cake--(make note of how much sooner so next time you make it, you know to wait that much longer before starting the icing) THEN keep the icing warm/hot until the cake is done and can be poked

any other recommendations?????

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Yes, you want to stir the icing.

I think you got it. Let us know how it turns out, it sound yummy!

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
RachAnn in NW Okla said:
I just opened my bank statement....in each statement there is always a recipe card that is a "Teller Recipe" here is the current one

Peanut Butter Cake

2 C self-rising flour
1-1/2 C sugar
3 eggs
2/3 C veg. oil
1 C buttermilk
1 tsp Vanilla

ICING: 2 C sugar, 1/2 C milk, 1 stick margarine, 2 heaping TBSP peanut butter

Grease and flour sheet cake pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix cake ingredients and pour into pan. Bake 30 minutes. remove and poke holes in cake with fork. While cake is baking, put icing ingredients (except peanut butter) in a heavy boiler. Bring to a rapid boil and continue to cook for 1 minute on medium to high heat. Remove and stir in peanut butter. Pour over cake while hot. Cool 4 hours before serving.

the progression of directions dont seem to make since to me...why would you put the direction of poking the holes in the cake before the ones that say "while the cake is baking"?????? and then how are you to make up the icing while the cake is baking AND get the cake done (complete with holes) before the icing is done....

I think by the ingredients, this is a recipe that I could do but the directions are a little vague to me....

any thoughts?????
Rachel
Let me see if I can't make the directions a little more clear for you:

1.) Preheat over to 350 degrees.

2.) Lightly grease and flour a 13" x 9" x 2" pan.

3.) In a large mixing bowl add eggs one at a time to sugar, cream together with mixer at medium speed.

4.) Gradually add oil, buttermilk, and vanilla to egg/sugar mixture until well blended.

5.) Gradually add flour to liquid ingredients, then continue mixing for 2 minutes.

6.) Bake at 350 degress for 25-30 minutes. When toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean (no damp mixture on toothpick) cake is done.
Test at 25 minutes...adding additional minutes until toothpick comes out clean.

The cake will remain warm enough for you to make the icing after it is done.

For filling/icing -- Combine all the ingriedients except the peanut butter in a heavy sauce pan, bring to a boil, continuing boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter.

Poke holes in cake - use the top of wooden spoon.

Pour filling/icing over cake while still in pan.

Allow to finish cooling.

There - hope that helps :)

Marlene

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Marlene~I think I just fell in love with you!!!!!! :p

those are MUCH clearer directions...I didnt think about the cake still being warm enough to make the icing after the cake was done....probablly because the original recipe says to do the icin while the cake is baking

I think I will run to the grocery store for the buttermilk....and make a cake today!!!
(I know that there is a trick to make your own butermilk but the last 1/2 of the gallon of milk I had was found this morning BAD.....Nasty milk!

Rachel

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Funny...to me NOW...story about a peanut butter cake...

It was my baby brothers 12th birthday and I told everyone I wanted to make the cake that year, so I found a pb cake recipe in a Hershey's cookbook. Well...it came out hard and as thick as a brick...everyone was polite but...........boy was my face red!

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Handy hint: You can make your own buttermilk by using plain whole milk. Add one TBS white vinegar to each cup, allow to sit on counter to "sour" for about 5 to 10 minutes. This is what I do when I don't have it on hand.

Also, there is a powdered buttermilk you can buy-check the baking aisle at your local grocery store. Can't think what the name is off hand, but you can use 3 TBS of that mixed well into a cup of water, for baking. I have used this product before and it works very well as far as texture/moistness of the cake goes.

Neither alternative is quite the richness of real, fresh buttermilk though.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
You are too sweet Rach...please let us know how your cake turned out. I've been having cravings since I read your recipe.

Hugs,
Marlene

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
.................Was just wondering IF this recipe specifies "China" made Pnbutta . Instead of Skippy might we call it.....Wong Fu butta , so appropo , LOL . , fordy

·
Mom to 6 great kids!
352 Posts
Rach.. WAHOOOOOOOOOO WTG!!

Did ya make it tonight? How'd it go?

And if you have any leftover buttermilk, you could make biscuits, or pancakes.... those are easy! :)

Keep us updated!

Jenn

·
Registered
423 Posts
Pouncer said:
Handy hint: You can make your own buttermilk by using plain whole milk. Add one TBS white vinegar to each cup, allow to sit on counter to "sour" for about 5 to 10 minutes. This is what I do when I don't have it on hand.

Also, there is a powdered buttermilk you can buy-check the baking aisle at your local grocery store. Can't think what the name is off hand, but you can use 3 TBS of that mixed well into a cup of water, for baking. I have used this product before and it works very well as far as texture/moistness of the cake goes.

Neither alternative is quite the richness of real, fresh buttermilk though.

I do this all the time.
One helpful hint.
The milk should be room temp or it does not curdle and it taste like vinegar. Not good in the recipe.

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
gilberte said:
What is self-rising flour?
just flour with baking powder and salt added to it. I never buy slef rising myself. I like to control the amount of salt I eat so I use lite salt instead.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts