Call for donations and ideas

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Ross, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

A long time ago we talked about assembling wool samples so we could share our collective resources with board members. Nothing came of it because I was busy. I'm still busy but I also want to get this off the ground! Here's the idea. I collect wool samples donated by you and me of course, (from the shoulder area would be best) and make up sample packets of each pure breed or cross breed sent to me. Hopefully there's enough to make up 3 or 4 sample cases of how ever many breeds I get sent to me. These cases become the start of a resource center where for the price of shipping both ways (and a deposit so you'll return it) you can borrow a case and see (and feel) the different wools contained. If you sell wool then I'll include contact info too! This could be just the beginning. We could also make up resource units of books, videos, building plans, gov. publications, even a travelling scrapbook of everyone's sheep family, barns, and???? All it takes is managment, and if we start small and work up maybe we'll make something useful to newbies and old hands alike. I'd like to start with wool samples, what do you all think? If you'd like to contribute a chunk of shoulder wool them PM me!

2. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

What a great concept! Perhaps we could also post here what type of wool we've got to donate, so as not to end up with an overload of one breed being pm'd to you. Plus, perhaps you've got a neighbor with a breed who's wool you've noticed hasn't been donated...(just sneak on out at midnight and do a minor clip...they'll never notice!)

3. Polly in NNY

Polly in NNY Well-Known Member

Ross,
    I think this is a great idea. I would think it might help some smaller flocks with marketing excess wool, breeding stock, etc. I also like the extended idea of a resource library. We have decided to build a new sheep barn next year and are in the planning stages now. Sure would be nice to look at other people's setups and to bounce ideas off one another.
    Your neighbor across the St. Lawrence.
    Polly

4. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Yes! When I was a newbie fiber junkie, all I wanted was to find out what I would like.
    There is a lot of info out there about what OTHERS like, but it's a very subjective topic, and there is a lot of variation out there.
    Small samples are the best way to see the differences for yourself.

5. wendle

wendle Well-Known Member

Where do you want it sent? and are you interested in any bluefaced leicester or border cheviot wool? Next year I hope to have some mules for wool too.

6. Ross

Send me a PM for an address, and all breeds or cross breeds are useful, just be sure to lable them and percentages (for Xbred) too if you know!

7. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

Are you going to wash the wool, or do you want it pre-washed?

Lisa at Somerhill

8. Ross

Either is fine, just not carded or spun.

9. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

Ross are you still taking wool?

I still have all of our fleeces here, I could send some out to you if you were still interested.

Melissa

10. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts Well-Known Member

Ross - Are you still taking donations? I have Finn sheep with the most lovely fleeces and would really like to have one of my samples included.

11. Ross

YES! Well I guess the fast way to do this is simply post an address here.

Ross McElroy
    RR#3 North Gower ON
    K0A 2T0
    Canada

If you want to include some spun and plied samples too (a couple or three inches) or felt or both that's fine too. We don't need alot to make up these sample cards but and handful could make a couple of sets.