californians not coming into season

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by cricket, Jan 16, 2005.

1. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

My does haven't come into season since right after Hurricane Ivan. I didn't want to breed them then since it was still so hot but now I'm ready for some teeny weeny babies and no one wants to do anything! What can I do? :confused:

2. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

==========

Well ,, try all the 'old' timers tricks ,, mix a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar into their water 1 teaspoon per quart ,, for a while ,, I've heard that helps make them more receptive ,, I know of some that do this all the time ,, supposedly it helps give them mm 'extra nutrients' and will help keep their coats shinny n slick ,,,, its not rocket science a few tablespoons per gallon if you want to use a empty milk jug to mix and then pour into water bottles ,, :)

switch the doe into the bucks cage for a day or 2 then switch back ,, try rebreeding then ,, from all I've read ,, does are receptive all but 4 days of every month ,, maybe you tried during that 4 days ,, :p
    keep trying ,,,
    keep count with the days if you even think the 'deed' might have occured ,, put a nestbox in just in case on the correct date ,,

This past summer I had to appoligize to my Cal buck ,, had 3 does I just KNEW he didn't do the deed ,, looked like a lot of fumbling around no bop bap fallin over ,, I just knew nothing happened ,, all 3 had litters !! I swear he looked smug :haha:

My personel fav for getting them to produce ,, :haha: start talking about making rabbit dumplins or rabbit pie out of the non producers when you are out there feeding n watering ,,, works every time :p

Tammy

Tammy

3. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

I've told them they look like very pretty unmade jackets...but no luck. I'll try apple cider though. Thanks. :)

4. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Oh.. good grief!! LOL!! Just put a light bulb with 'em for an extra 3 or so hours daily. (just like chickens; they need more daylight to breed/lay in winter). And before you ask.. get a looooong extension cord and a clip on light. I went 'all out' and got a $10 'timer' to put on the plug so I don't forget to turn it off and on. Bunnies and chickens doing well. So well, in fact, I unscrewed the hens lamp!!! I was being overrun w/eggs!!!