Californians & Creme d'Argents FS in VA

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by rabbitgal, Aug 2, 2006.

1. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Hi folks,

We will have a few Californian and Creme d'Argent youngsters available shortly. (Doing litter evaluations probably this week.) We have a small meat/commercial herd and also show a bit, so we breed for disease resistance and productivity in addition to the muscular type desirable for showing. All potential breeding animals are pedigreed and tattooed.

Most of you know what a Californian is...The Creme d'Argent is a larger commercial-type breed weighing in at 8-10 lb. as adults. Formerly rather popular for it's lustrous fur, the Creme d'Argent is now only recognized in the US and UK (UK version is smaller). The US breed club estimates that there are less than 1000 animals worldwide. For more info, visit www.cremedargentfederation.com or www.albc-usa.org.

The Cals will be about $20-$30 (depending on age and quality) and Cremes will probably be about $25-$35 since they're a rare breed. I'll be posting more info soon...or you can check out our website at www.geocities.com/cremerabbits if you want to learn more about Cals, Cremes, and our rabbitry. ;) We are located in southern Virginia, about an hour north of Greensboro, NC.

2. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

3. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

i went to your site before and you had a Dark rabbit on the cream page? black with silver ticking? it said it was a mix, was it a mix of Cream and Californian or what was it?

also did you get rid of it? sorry to be asking about a mutt rabbit but i liked the looks if her? i think it was a doe? lol

4. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

hehe, that was Glitter, a first-generation Cal-Creme cross...sadly we lost her in a heat wave, but we do have some of her offspring and a few other first-generation crosses. If you really like that color, you should check out the Silver Fox breed...they look just like our crosses and they have good reputations as meat animals even though they're endangered. The ALBC has some info on their website at www.albc-usa.org (click on "Conservation Priority List").

Yeah even though we lost Glitter, I really like our x-buck Tinsel. He's a real sweetie...he has less silvering than Glitter did, but it's just lovely...there's some pics of him growing up at www.geocities.com/cremerabbits/litter.html.

5. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

my first pair of rabbits were a Silver Fox mix, i think they look great, when i am able to set up my rabbitry again i want some more like them, i like the color a whole lot better than just plain ol white, although a white here and there also keeps things enteresting,

thats enteresting how crossing a Cream to a Cal produces such uniformly DARK babies, have you done this cross often? are they useually like this? what about when you breed them back one way or another? or to eachother?

6. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Hope you do end up getting Silver Fox...they're beautiful rabbits. As a matter of fact, I just got some Silver Fox weanlings yesterday. Some Cal/himi-marked bucks and a pet/brood quality black doe. The himi SF are throwbacks to an outcross a breeder did a while ago, and they cannot be used in a SF breeding program, but they may work nicely for meat crosses.

I've raised...um, probably 3 1st generation crossbred litters and they've all been black silver. The first was an accident (Glitter), but I liked her so much that we decided to mess some more with the cross and see what happens. We then bred Glitter back to a Creme and the litter was about 1/3 fawn silver (Creme colored) and 2/3 black silver. That litter is 4 or 5 months old right now.

Some of the 2nd generation crosses look ok, but we won't be keeping them because a couple of the animals had malocclusion. The fawns have poor color (probably from the Cal blood), but do seem to be better muscled than our purebred Cremes.