Californian Doe Is Bred! Christmas Bunnies!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Tarot Farm, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

Hey, the Californian doe that I got FREE (with a Cal.buck) is bred! I tested her today and she will have bunnies before Chirstmas! Now I know that I want more Cals! A few more does and another buck who has to be 'more handsome' than the one I have now; that will not take much...this ol' boy's face and head is ugly!

I am still interested in other breeds of rabbits too.

2. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

First off, congratulations on the Christmas-bunnies-to-be. How did you test, and how did you know to pinpoint the date of arrival? I've tried palpating before, and was never any darned good at it.

Watchout! You're gonna get hooked on those Californians!

NeHi Mama

3. Sinenian

Sinenian Well-Known Member

Congrats! Both my Angora does are due a little before christmas too :)

I was considering to start raising meat breeds. I want to try something different than angoras. That is the only breed i've ever actually bred, though when I was little I braught home a pregnant doe from a pet store that was supposed to be fixed, doh!

I am trying to consider breed, I have narrowed it down to californian and (White) New Zealand.

4. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

I have raised rabbits for most of my life; for pets, meat, fur and for showing.

My neighbor had a house full of kids and they had 4-H rabbits...she got me started and taught me all kinds of 'tricks'. :D

For this doe, I tested with a buck to see if the doe is receptive or not; she was very growly! I usually wait and palpate the does. I got pretty good at after working at a commercial rabbitry! :happy:

5. Sinenian

Sinenian Well-Known Member

To make sure mine are pregant I just get them in there with the buck 4-6 times in 1 day.