California Red Sheep

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by YuccaFlatsRanch, May 3, 2004.

1. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Will be getting my Cal Reds in September and I have pictures and Pedigrees of them already. Am getting a gorgeous registered Ram and 3 terrific ewe lambs. All lambs were born in Feb and March, but it will be a little too hot to transport from New Mexico until fall. One of the ewe lambs was born at an amazing 13 lbs. She was a single born to a yearling first time mom, who had her with no assistance and has done a super job so far. Pictures will be available later, but you can see some of them at http://www.nmredsheep.meridian1.net/.

California Reds are true breeding crosses between Black Belly Barbado and Tunis sheep. A great thing about them is that the rams are very heat tolerant and will breed all year round. That can give you 3 lambings every 2 years.

Have thought about getting a Texel ewe and cross breeding to make Tex-Reds. In Texas almost anything with Tex in the name is in demand. Texel are a meat breed from the Texel Islands and have the largest loin eye of any breed of sheep.

2. BlueRidgeBabe

BlueRidgeBabe Active Member

Hi YFR-

Just found your post when I googled CA Reds, I love the way these sheep look! They are so pretty, and they sound really nice from the descriptions I read. Congrats on your new flock. They are a fascinating breed.

Blue

3. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

If you don't mind, how much are they costing you?
    I like the looks of Red's also, I have a little ??? white ram this year to learn about raising them, we have docked his tail and may wait until fall to castrate, because the flies are so bad now and we can just barely find the little gems when he is standing.

4. Don't mind at all - registered year + old Ram out of probably the finest parentage available was $300.00 and my selection of ewe lambs from this years flock with my choice of parentage were $175.00 each. I think I got the primo stock available, with extensive discussions with the breeders.

All of the animals except one ewe lamb were out of either triplets or twins, had both in each of their lineage. The one ewe lamb that was a single was out of a first time ewe who is out of twins and triples. That lamb hit the ground at an amazing 13 pounds. Mother had her with no assistance and raised her fine.

5. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

OOPS forgot to sign in. Sorry

6. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

Thanks, that sounds like really good prices. we got our "learner" lamb at the animal shelter for $15, we like him so far, he is alot nicer and easier than the goats.