California Red Lambs Arrived This Afternoon

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by YuccaFlatsRanch, Dec 28, 2006.

1. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

The Blessed Event happened again this afternoon. One of my Registered Cal Red Ewe's named Ladyhawk delivered two bouncing baby lambs and is doing just fine. They are jugged at the moment. Will go investigate sexes and dock tails and tattoo ears tommorow A.M. I will also innoculate with Tetanus Antitoxin as a preventative since we have recently had rain and the barnyard is a we bit muddy at this time.

2. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Congrats! We're lambing too at the moment. Have a set of twins and one set of trips so far. More on the way. I really like the Cal reds! Jan in Co

3. YuccaFlatsRanch

Jan - did you get Cal Reds?? I remember talking to you about them but never heard if they were your final choice. If you did get some - what is the breeding of your rams?? Might want to trade someday.

4. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Nope, haven't gotten any yet, although they are still in my long range plan! I have Suffolk, Suffolk Cross, Shetlands, and one Rambouillet/Corriedale/Morino ewe, as well as a Suffolk Cross ram and a Polypay/Finn ram. Sold the Suffolk ram as he was a beast. So far we've had five lambs born since Christmas Day, a set of twins and one of triplets, more to come! Good luck with the Reds!

Jan in CO

5. YuccaFlatsRanch

More Cal red lambs coming - 2nd you has lost mucous plug - should deliver very soon. Here is hoping for a nice pair of twin EWE lambs.

Also just moved my newest ram in with some 10 1/2 month old ewe lambs (?). They should deliver in early to mid June. We will shear these girls late in March or early in April so as not to bother them while pregnant.