Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased 2 Cali does that were about 4 months old. I didn't feed them as much as they needed the first 1.5 weeks I had them so they lost weight. I tripled their feed thinking since they were still growing, they must need a lot more food than I thought. They went from about 6 lbs to 7 lbs in 4 days. Granted that means they are only .5 lb above when I bought them, but still, is this possible or are my scales just dead wrong?

·
Premium Member
30,045 Posts
I never weighed mine. A full stomach can make a big difference in their weight.

A lot of breeders keep the feeders full for growing rabbits. What are you feeding your rabbits? Pellets, hay, greens, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never weighed mine. A full stomach can make a big difference in their weight.

A lot of breeders keep the feeders full for growing rabbits. What are you feeding your rabbits? Pellets, hay, greens, etc.
3/4 cup 16% pellets, 1/4 cup whole oats, a handful of sunflower seeds, unlimited mulberry twigs, unlimited Alfalfa/Timothy hay mix. I know they say you don't need the alfalfa if you're feeding pellets, but during the warm months i want to back off using just pellets so I bought hay I could use in the summer as well as winter. After talking with the guy I bought them from though, I think I'm going to double their feed and feed them that ration twice a day and see how that affects them. Do you think that's enough? If they still aren't gaining much or seem cold, I'll probably just free feed and watch their weight.

·
Premium Member
30,045 Posts
That amount twice a day (3/4 cup) seems good. Mine ate approx that every day when they were grown. I had a couple Californians back in my early rabbit days, they were my first rabbits. I didn't really measure or pay attention to the real amount but 3/4 cup seems like a bit too little. My current lion-heads eat almost that each day. You'll know if it's too much or too little over the next few days. If there is food left over for the next day, you are feeding too much. If the dishes are empty, you are feeding too little.

My rabbits are a bit spoiled. They get 5 minute old-fashioned rolled oats. Menards had it unbelievably cheap and there are no hulls left to clean up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts