Homesteading Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Wow. I'd like to see how well THAT ends for the city...
They did start shutting off power but said it was because of the Santa Anas. Which is odd because I live in an area where they always shut off power during them and ours is still on.

So I guess you shut it off and blame it on the weather to avoid the peasants rioting with pitchforks.

·
Registered
21,112 Posts
At what point will people begin saying "Screw the government"?

Some of us pretty well did that long ago but it is easier in rural areas. Either ignore PITA laws or simply work around them. Back when we lived in town they passed an ordinance banning outdoor fires except for cooking. I had cut down a dead maple tree between the sidewalk and the street and left a stump about 6 inches tall. I lit it and put an old folding wire camp grill over it and sat on the porch watching it burn. A patrol cop pulled over and looked at it then looked at me and grinned and shrugged then drove off. I see some Illinois laws violated here regularly but even the state cops let a lot of things slide.

·
Registered
843 Posts
They did start shutting off power but said it was because of the Santa Anas. Which is odd because I live in an area where they always shut off power during them and ours is still on.

So I guess you shut it off and blame it on the weather to avoid the peasants rioting with pitchforks.
I've been wondering why folks put up with the power companies and their antics anyway. I'm not in a locality that has shut offs (town owns the electrical grid not PG&E) but I think I would have done something drastic by now if I had my power shut off whenever the wind blows because of the company's negligence. Maybe a tiny off grid system, I know it "isn't allowed" but you know what, screw them... if they can't provide power it should be your right to provide your own. People should be screaming and throwing fits about that, not bending over and taking it like little sissies

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I've been wondering why folks put up with the power companies and their antics anyway. I'm not in a locality that has shut offs (town owns the electrical grid not PG&E) but I think I would have done something drastic by now if I had my power shut off whenever the wind blows because of the company's negligence. Maybe a tiny off grid system, I know it "isn't allowed" but you know what, screw them... if they can't provide power it should be your right to provide your own. People should be screaming and throwing fits about that, not bending over and taking it like little sissies
Oh, you can go solar if you want to. We are in the process (long process, very annoying. And expensive).

That's the problem with government sanctioned monopolies, though, you kind of have to bend over and take it unless you're independently wealthy. I can't just decide I'm going to give my business to another power company, because there isn't one. And down in this part of the state screaming and throwing fits really doesn't get you anywhere unless you fit a very specific description.

·
Registered
444 Posts
It was only a matter of time before Newsom put the smackdown on us. His plan, break the state up into 5 regions and once a region's available ICU bed rate drops below 15% we're back under stay-at-home orders. For Sacramento, we're talking a matter of days.

Even though we're an essential business we can all still work from home. So I told the staff to not come back until 1/4.

This is how they felt...

This is how I felt...

·
Registered
843 Posts
It was only a matter of time before Newsom put the smackdown on us. His plan, break the state up into 5 regions and once a region's available ICU bed rate drops below 15% we're back under stay-at-home orders. For Sacramento, we're talking a matter of days.

Even though we're an essential business we can all still work from home. So I told the staff to not come back until 1/4.

This is how they felt...
View attachment 92411

This is how I felt...
View attachment 92412
Yup, I saw that this afternoon.That and the travel ban...and the curfew really make you stop and go hmmmmmm. My favorite part is that it only effects part if the state, so we can just go and party it up past curfew in another county. None of it makes any logical sense... much as I hate to say this, I'd probably be more supportive of a statewide shut down than this nonsense

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
An enquiring mind in California or similarly occupied territory wonders-
I can't buy a fishing pole at the local hardware store because it has been closed as non essential but I can buy one at Walmart where the store is considered essential. Why is Walmart allowed to sell non essential items? Why aren't they limited to supplying only what is currently needed to keep people safe from the pandemic? Just thinking, if they shut down 80% of their store they would have a lot fewer customers browsing for underwear and big screens and slumped over their wheel in the firelanes.

How many Amazon employees are stacked together working their lines, warehouses, in the breakrooms and offices?
While the numbers vary, I have read that 25% of the businesses shut down during the first wave will never reopen; this time the numbers may approach 60%. Meanwhile in the batcave, profits for Walmart, Target, Amazon are up 80-90%.

Hmmm, I says. Hmmm.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
During the great fail of 2020, companies like Neiman Marcus, Lane Bryant, Chuck E Cheese and dozens of other big time corporations filed bankruptcy. Yet they were still able to fund bonuses for their CEOs that ranged from $1,000,000 to $7,000,000 and more.

The Feds loaned big time banks 1 Trillion dollars per day to "keep afloat". Yet the most holy Stimuli known as the Cares Act dribbled $1200 to some folks and threw a little unemployment their way.

How's that Cares Act doing for you now? Any bonuses sticking out of your mailbox?

41 - 60 of 67 Posts