Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
newfieannie
9,329 Posts
we got our latest rules a few hours ago. couple schools closed and the amt. of people we can have in our bubble is a lot less. i thought i heard 5. i think we have 20 or 22 cases. something like that. if we go to a restaurant we have to give a bunch of info so we can be tracked if there's a outbreak. etc. etc.

we were the best in north america. at least that's what they reported. not sure if we are now. my home town in nfld where my sister lives has a cluster at one of the homes for the first time. i worry about her. she use to run marathons until last year when she had a heart attack . i know she has enough food for quite some time so i hope she stays put. ~Georgia

·
Registered
763 Posts
Yea... I saw that in the news last night. Curfew between 10pm and 5am, because the virus miraculously stops infecting people during the day🙄🙄🙄 I'm never outside my house during those times anyway.

Sheriff's and local officials are already saying they wont enforce it, both here and in other parts of the state. It makes zero sense whatsoever, from a virus transmission standpoint

·
Premium Member
24,363 Posts
Some of Ohio's senators were making fun of our curfew. You can order a drink at 9:59 pm but not 10:01 pm. Most of the stores in Columbus and the 'burbs close at or before 10 pm anyway. The only reason DeWine is going after late night restaurants and bars is because most of the newer patients reported being at a late night bar or restaurant in the 14 days before they got sick. I think they should look at the little germ factories that are crammed together in tiny rooms as the real vector for the spread (especially since cases went up after schools opened) but no one listens to me.

BTW, the temp scans at the doors are worthless in detecting many cases. Half of the people where hubby works are quarantined after one of the employees tested positive. The person was running a low grade fever which they didn't report and the door scanner didn't detect. When the scanner reads 95 and you aren't prohibited from entering unless you read 100 or higher the scans are worthless.

·
Premium Member
24,363 Posts
Hubby used to be able to stop by Kroger on his way home from work. He would buy cream for his coffee or any few items we needed that weren't worth making a special trip for. We got used to that convenience. Now he can't stop because all the stores are closed. So grocery runs are made in the morning hours which are surprisingly busy. Before covid there were very few people in the grocery store before noon.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Husband works second shift which means he will be out after 10. His work place just gave them letters to show they're supposed to be out in case they get pulled over.

Your papers, comrade.

So seriously sick of this stupid...stuff.

·
Premium Member
24,363 Posts
I don't know if mine got his papers or not. He had one back in March, might still be in the car somewhere.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Husband works second shift which means he will be out after 10. His work place just gave them letters to show they're supposed to be out in case they get pulled over.

Your papers, comrade.

Farmers are considered essential workers. I just printed up letters on our letterhead. We have to be on the road really early picking up our freezer beef from our butcher and then making deliveries some days. It's a busy time of year for us and we have a limited amount of freezer space. We have 7 quarters tomorrow morning.

As far as the curfew, they are trying to cut down on late drunken parties, etc. I know it's tough but what they are really trying to do is control the amount of people going into hospitals. In some parts of the country the health care system is at the breaking point. In my rural Ohio county, which does not have a hospital or a single ICU bed, patients have to be transported almost an hour by ambulance or life flighted to the nearest hospital. We are seeing a spike in cases. It's only stupid until someone close to you falls seriously ill or dies from it.

·
Registered
15,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Your papers, comrade.

Your post reminded me of Cheech Marin in Born in East La.

"I aint got no green card man..."

·
Registered
15,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Saw Dr Faucci on the news this morning saying we need to buckle up and conform with the lockdowns.

The very next clip said "A recent study has shown 30% more Americans are skipping 3-7 meals a week because of lack of funds."

I am sure there is no correlation at all.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Farmers are considered essential workers. I just printed up letters on our letterhead. We have to be on the road really early picking up our freezer beef from our butcher and then making deliveries some days. It's a busy time of year for us and we have a limited amount of freezer space. We have 7 quarters tomorrow morning.

As far as the curfew, they are trying to cut down on late drunken parties, etc. I know it's tough but what they are really trying to do is control the amount of people going into hospitals. In some parts of the country the health care system is at the breaking point. In my rural Ohio county, which does not have a hospital or a single ICU bed, patients have to be transported almost an hour by ambulance or life flighted to the nearest hospital. We are seeing a spike in cases. It's only stupid until someone close to you falls seriously ill or dies from it.
That's not the situation where I live. Hospitals are fine, or as fine as they can be since a lot of them shut down years ago due to other types of bad public policy. We in California have been under the restrictions that many of you are just now finding yourselves under since late April. If this idiocy worked, my part of the world should be free and clear of anything Covid related by now. But apparently we're not because our restrictions keep getting tighter and tighter. Kind of begs the question of the effectiveness of any of this.

You think a spike in cases could be because you can get tested on every street corner and twice on Sunday, as opposed to early on when you couldn't get tested unless you were being admitted to a hospital? That's really weird that cases would be spiking now compared to those days.

I'm done with the "You just want to kill Grandma!" and "You'll care when your family starts keeling over and dying!" guilt trip stuff. What's really stupid is handing over whatever small amount of freedom we have left because we're too afraid of dying to actually live, because who needs things like educated kids, or jobs? While governors party it up, maskless and unsocially distanced with people they are unrelated to (even better when some of them are executives with the California Medical Association) while eating inside of restaurants (which most of us peons have not been able to do for over 6 months now because that's definitely where you'll get the Covid). Isn't it odd that the people who apparently know what's going on, and decide to tell us what will keep us safe don't actually follow their own rules? It's almost as if they're not actually worried about any of it. But please, make sure you get yourself tucked in by 10 because they said so, maybe throw a little lamb's blood on the front door before you do just to be extra safe.

And if asked, make sure your papers are in order.

·
Premium Member
24,363 Posts
Ohio residents have been told to not have parties or large gatherings since the beginning. Weddings, church services and funerals were exempt for a time. In several cases people were feeling a "little off, but it can't be covid" so they attended the gathering anyway then found out they had covid and spread it to many at the gathering. It is because of those people that new restrictions have been put in place.

It seems most people really don't care about anyone but themselves. If you have symptoms stay home. It's the ones who are sick but tell themselves they can't have covid that are the ones killing Grandma and Grandpa. It's been breaking news for 9 months now. You know the symptoms. STAY HOME if you don't feel well.

·
Registered
15,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's not the situation where I live. Hospitals are fine, or as fine as they can be since a lot of them shut down years ago due to other types of bad public policy. We in California have been under the restrictions that many of you are just now finding yourselves under since late April. If this idiocy worked, my part of the world should be free and clear of anything Covid related by now. But apparently we're not because our restrictions keep getting tighter and tighter. Kind of begs the question of the effectiveness of any of this.

You think a spike in cases could be because you can get tested on every street corner and twice on Sunday, as opposed to early on when you couldn't get tested unless you were being admitted to a hospital? That's really weird that cases would be spiking now compared to those days.

I'm done with the "You just want to kill Grandma!" and "You'll care when your family starts keeling over and dying!" guilt trip stuff. What's really stupid is handing over whatever small amount of freedom we have left because we're too afraid of dying to actually live, because who needs things like educated kids, or jobs? While governors party it up, maskless and unsocially distanced with people they are unrelated to (even better when some of them are executives with the California Medical Association) while eating inside of restaurants (which most of us peons have not been able to do for over 6 months now because that's definitely where you'll get the Covid). Isn't it odd that the people who apparently know what's going on, and decide to tell us what will keep us safe don't actually follow their own rules? It's almost as if they're not actually worried about any of it. But please, make sure you get yourself tucked in by 10 because they said so, maybe throw a little lamb's blood on the front door before you do just to be extra safe.

In all seriousness, (I dont do this here very often) you are totally correct. In my little part of the universe my MIL had a stroke. My wife and I have been her caregiver for over ten years now. She was ambulatory and mostly on her own with a few exceptions. Anyway, she had a stroke and went to the hospital. No one was allowed to go visit. Then she went to extended care "rehab". No one was allowed to visit........

Rant on....

Once the Medicare ran out......

She was kicked to the curb. I went to pick her up and had to literally PICK HER UP and put her in the car. I asked the nurse what kind of "rehab" were they doing. "Oh, state of the art"......

BS....

Rant off...

Fast forward 3 weeks after home care she is on a walker and can actually now go to the bathroom on her own. My wife has quit her job ( no biggie for us really but for others it might be) to be here 24 hours a day. We have cut income plus I have to come out of pocket for her insurance now. I am really grateful we can shoulder this but this is what we have come to. If we had been able to at least visit her we could have seen her condition and intervened. Not all health care workers are "heros". I used to be am EMT and I know first hand they are not. Some are there just for a paycheck and to get on FB or Tweet to friends. The in home rehab guy is awesome. He cant believe the progress she has made. t really is very simple though. Once you are around family in your last days you do better. My wife has no formal training she just cares about her mother. When someone that cares is around, often that is all that is needed.

No one seemed to care about her at the "professionals" place of work though.

We can point the finger at each other but to keep loved ones from seeing their family is cruel and unusual punishment. Cant make me see it otherwise.

·
Registered
763 Posts

Amen.

·
Registered
15,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ohio residents have been told to not have parties or large gatherings since the beginning. Weddings, church services and funerals were exempt for a time. In several cases people were feeling a "little off, but it can't be covid" so they attended the gathering anyway then found out they had covid and spread it to many at the gathering. It is because of those people that new restrictions have been put in place.

It seems most people really don't care about anyone but themselves. If you have symptoms stay home. It's the ones who are sick but tell themselves they can't have covid that are the ones killing Grandma and Grandpa. It's been breaking news for 9 months now. You know the symptoms. STAY HOME if you don't feel well.
People that even suspect they have symptoms should stay home. I did even when I had the runs one time because it "might" have been something.

Even enjoyed the day off.

·
Registered
15,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

If you have a bon fire in Texas, does that kill the virus?

Maybe if we put it out before 10 pm.....

·
Registered
763 Posts
I don’t mind it, we’re never out after 10 anyway. If it helps curb the outbreak I’m fine with it.
I'm never out after 10 either. So maybe It's in effect to try to deter drinking parties, or drug dealers or teenagers having fun. How likely do you think it is that these folks would actually obey a curfew (that isn't going to be enforced)?

This does nothing to curb the outbreak.

On a slightly related tangent here... I'm not like a homeless advocate by any means but how about them, does the curfew not apply to them or how should that be handled? This wasn't thought through very well.

·
Premium Member
24,363 Posts
mreynolds, we had a similar situation with my mother in law. Even in the hospital she didn't get the care and attention she needed. This was even with one of her sons with her all the time. She would not have survived the week in the nursing home if he hadn't been there.

If you have a bon fire in Texas, does that kill the virus?

Maybe if we put it out before 10 pm.....
You are allowed to have a dumpster fire in downtown Columbus at midnight but not a drink at a bar at 10:01 pm (22:01 for those one military time). So maybe fire kills the virus. I know you can't spread it at a riot or protest.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts