Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
All the years I lived in California (a good 30) I remember hearing, "Oh we are having a drought! Conserve! Conserve!" All the while it rained for more than the 40 days of Noah straight from the beginning of the particular year I am remembering. Now it's actually happening.

Whose bright idea was it to build a big city in a desert (L.A.) and then supply it with water from farming areas and states up North?

It's a pretty sad sight to see though, all in all.

T

·
0 Posts
Wow. We have a few Corps of Engineer lakes like that around here; but I think they have lost wayyyyy more water level than we have!
That is some seriously scary sh*t!

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
And where will all those Kaliforunias go once they are forced to leave their beautiful Desert . .??

People who know about these things say that those depleted aquifers will take 'hundreds' of years to replenish .......

The land of fruits and nuts (and veggies) is coming to an end......

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was just reading a comment from a lady in CA. They are in a severe drought, yet are still required by their HOA to water their lawn daily to keep their grass green.

Here in north TX (we are also in a drought) if you are caught doing any outdoor watering at any time there are huge fines. We cant even water the foundation of our home.

Which one makes the most sense? Hmm

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
In CA you'll get foreclosed on by your HOA for _not_ watering while being fined horrible by the town if you do water. Catch 22.

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Took the husband to Lake Shasta for a campout. We were supposed to be right on the lake.

Well, we were right on a cliff, with the lake a long, long way down and just a little pond by comparison.

We're in the Pacific Flyway and everyone is jittery about what the birds will do. They haven't nearly the usual amount of rice fields/wetlands available to them this year. Usually have a quarter millions acres of rice fields for them, this year we might have about 50,ooo. And it's a bigger than usual migration this year, the sky is constantly abuzz with snow geese in the evenings.

It will be alright. California's usual condition is drought, and it seems we've had a wet several decades. Of course, people planned and built for that weather so.

I can tell you it rained Monday. My son played in it, something he hasn't been able to do in three years. The baby is one, and she has seen rain twice in her life, Monday's being the first remarkable one. The water company sends out nastygrams and threats all the time but overwaters the parks to the point they are mud while cattle starve.

And too, there are far more jerks setting fires now than there were in centuries previous, I imagine. That's been fabulous.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts