Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew that almonds were going to increase in price when I read last spring about the almond farmers ripping out 25% of their mature trees. Sunday I read about the California rice farmers cutting back 25% on their plantings because of the drought and rice prices have gone up 8% and they are only starting the harvest. Might be a good time to stockpile, doesn't look like the drought is gonna end soon.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I recently bought 20 lbs. of rice for $10.49. After I read about the rice harvest, I bought another 20 lbs. There are only two of us. I'm in rice heaven.
Suitcase Sally, I almost always agree with your posts, especially on the preservation forum. I need to tell you, I've heard of "pet heaven", and "our Heavenly Father's Heaven", but never "rice heaven". :facepalm: Thank you for expanding my mind.

·
Registered
529 Posts
It has been raining here for a month? they overstate the drought to raise commodity prices. I wonder how much Anheiser Busch stock Feinstein and Boxer have? Budweiser is the biggest consumer and rice grower in the state.

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Yes I'm aware California is a large state. I'm also aware that in central California we haven't been getting rain regularly for a long time.

·
Premium Member
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Please can we all play nice?? I bought Black Rice from Fancy Tails Fish Farms. It is not the black rice grains - its the blackish purple foliage. I'm planting pots which are setting in a childs wading pool. Low tech method of dehulling rice grains is to pund in a mortar and pestle. Gonna do my best to actually get enough for a meal this year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts