Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D Hi y'all. This is my 1st time with rabbits, so please excuse the lack of knowledge. :oops: I have 2 bucks, one which resembles a California (tinged ears & tail & getting big) plus a solid white buck with smaller frame. I "thought" I had 2 females & 1 buck....seems I only have 1 female. A friend is giving me 2 females with an offer to "process" the male of my choice for the freezer. He said in his experience a larger buck does not breed as well as a smaller one. I have read both of my rabbit books & could find nothing to support that.I was under the impression that the California rabbit was one of the best for meat.* I also don;t know for sure if the 2 solid white rabbits (1 doe,1 buck) are related.**The last point for the "californian" is he is so luvable ((danger/danger)) Does anyone have any opinions or experiences breeding these big guys. My friends rabbits are smoke or multicolored, so he doesn't have any California's. PS/ does anyone keep their rabbits with the chickens? I have 2 small silkies that wouldn't hurt the rabbits...is it do-able? I was hoping to let the does run free in a small inside coop ( 7 ft x 16 ft)until it's time for breeding next spring.It is too cold here for a winter litter. THANXXX 8)

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:D Thanx sooo much for the quick reply....I had to choose which buck I was keeping by Sat. I am very pleased to hear that the California buck is OK to keep.( he really is a sweetie) * :rolleyes: could I ask if you "ever" let the females live together? Since I won't be breeding until the spring, I would like them to co-exist. Do you join cages or give them a room of their own? My friend keeps his all together (about 30 does) but the buck is in a single cage. I would just think that the rabbits would have a more fufilling life together.....or is that another silly Newbie thought? Again, thank you. I appreciate your opinions! :D

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Tracy, do you breed them even in cold weather? I was under the impression that the young have a poor survival rate if they are not in a heated barn....do you live in an area with mild winters? Up here in the Great White North, it can get pretty bad with the wind & snow.I am in an open area, with no other houses to act as a windbreak. I must cart water for the chickens & there is always a problem with the water freezing. I am very interested in how you keep the offspring warm.*** by the way--I kept the Californian & sent the other buck to the pearly gates.....I felt guilty! DH kept saying "are you Really gonna take him to slaughter?" He said that because we had petted the rabbits, he didn't think I would eat them.I told him if he can't handle it, he better tell me now - Before I breed them....'cause I ain't cooking two different suppers!!! :twisted: ( I picked up 2 more does, 1 is a Californian...yippee!)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.