Calif. Air Regulators: Cows Are Polluters

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Aug 3, 2005.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-dairy-air,0,3664842,print.story

By KATHLEEN HENNESSEY
    Associated Press Writer

August 1, 2005, 10:47 PM EDT

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Dairies are the No. 1 source of smog-producing pollution in the San Joaquin Valley, producing more than even cars and light trucks, according to a report released by air regulators on Monday.

The San Joaquin Valley Unified Air Pollution Control District has determined that a cow annually emits 19.3 pounds of volatile organic compounds, the gases that contribute to smog. That is 50 percent more than currently thought, the report said.

The new emission factor will force up to 250 more dairies to apply for permits, and force them to comply with regulations that are to be announced next summer.

Jared Fernandes, a dairy farmer who milks 3,000 cows in Tulare, said he finds the district's report hard to believe.

"It a joke," he said. "Common sense tells me that I doubt cows are producing more than cars. Would you rather sit in your garage with your car running, or sit in a garage with a cow all night?"

Regulators say cow emissions cannot be directly compared to car emissions because they contain different types of VOCs.

Environmentalists, meanwhile, contend that the new emission factor doesn't reflect all the pollution created by dairies because it doesn't account for VOCs released by manure used as fertilizer, feed storage and other dairy processes.

"The number is a low-ball number," said Brent Newell, a lawyer for the Center for Race, Poverty and the Environment, a group that has sued to force the industry to apply regulations. "I think in the future it will be revised and revised upwards."

Several scientists involved in the research used to devise the new emission factor have criticized the report. They take issue with the way district staff determined the amount of VOCs known as volatile fatty acids.

The district relied on research conducted in Great Britain and a feedlot study from Texas for its data on the acids.

"We've been cautioning them that a large component of their estimate is something for which there was very little California data," said Charles Krauter, a researcher at California State University-Fresno.

Michael Marsh, head of Western United Dairymen, said his group will ask the district's Governing Board to review the findings.

"If they don't and our farmers are caught being forced to rely upon on an emission factor for regulation that's not based on science, we will, of course, review all our legal options," he said.

Copyright 2005 Newsday Inc.

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

That area of Cali is by far the only nice thing about the state. I think they just want to build more malls and housing developments thats why all the fuss.

3. Orville

Orville Well-Known Member

Imagine how horrible was the air quality in North America when all those millions of buffalo were farting all over the fruited plain. Maybe that's what eventually killed them off, and it wasn't the buffalo hunters after all.

4. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Not sure the point of the post. The US has been far behind on this. New Zeland has the lead by far. Cows fart a whole lot, and burp just as much. Agriculture isn't a zero pollution operation.

5. kmaproperties

kmaproperties Well-Known Member

Most likely PETA behind it. close down those evil dairy farmers

6. seedspreader

There are a couple of points in my opinion:
    Large Agribusiness cows with feed lots and no pastures are not sustainable.
    Envirofreaks will find a reason to protest every thing they can

Two opposite extremes on the same issue, illustrate (to me) that there is a happy middle ground found in small farms and large pastures!

7. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I have always thought that if they were to follow my husband around they would find a BIG source of pollution!

8. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Wasn't it on this site a week or so ago there was a posting on a fellow in Cali studying this issue, and the common thought was 12# per cow, but his research was showing only 6# per cow?????

Anyhow, don't get your hopes up for the small farms. They are the _FIRST_ bto be axed by such issues. They are too small to comply with the new regulations - cost per head is much higher and the govt makes the small comply as well as the large.

These issues always hurt the small farmers more than the large. Always.

I'm a small farmer. I know. Us small folks get in the middle of the vice between the large farms & the lunitics coming up with these ideas. We get squeezed out long, long before the dust settles.

--->Paul

9. seedspreader

Oh, I understand the deal with small farmers being hardest hit, the economics of scale etc. I just thought it was interesting that the envirofreaks had turned their sites onto the mundane cows of California.

10. Lerxt

Lerxt Well-Known Member

But where will we find the "Happy Cows" that make "Great Cheese"? Oh the tragedy of it all!

Freakin morons. Getting rid of a couple herds of cows in California is not going to help the air there. Getting people in LA to take public transit might. But then they'd have to relax their gun laws so people could protect themselves. Next thing you know California would be a "red" state. :cowboy:

Oh my. Sorry I digressed there. Thought I was in GC. :)

11. seedspreader

Also I wanted to add, that it's the things like this that discredit and make most people suspicious about all the other environmental issues.

12. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I see a simple solution to the supposed California dairy problem air pollution.

#1. Ship all of the dairy stock to the mid-west where there is plenty of fresh air.
    Sell the milk locally, turn it into cheese, or sell to the government to once again replenish the school commodity supplies or for student milk.

#2. Turn all of the California pastures and farm fields that were producing feed for the dairy stock into soybean fields.

#3. Turn the soybeans into dairy substitute soy milk to sell to the former milk clients of California. Hence no livestock air pollution and nice nutrious soy milk to take the place of dairy milk.

The greenies in California should be thrilled---no livestock confinement which might be against PETA guidelines. None of those horrible dairy practices that PETA decries, etc.

Yup, give them soy instead of milk.

13. seedspreader

"Let them drink soy..." I like it.

14. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Let's find a way capture & contain all of those cow farts & use the methane for an alternative fuel source. Think of the Possibilities!

15. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

I noninate you to be in charge of collection :nana: :eek: :nana: