Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
10,380 Posts
And on the other hand one of the ferries crossing to Vancouver Island this Easter turned around and returned to Vancouver to dump off anti-maskers who refused to keep their masks on - fined $400 each and are now banned from BC Ferries - causing enormous inconvenience and delays to hundreds of other passengers. Provinces and businesses do have the right to protect their residents, customers and staff and can set their own rules. If you do not like it you do not have to go there or do business with them - but now the alternative for these anti-maskers is to swim to Vancouver Island or fly without their cars. Idiots.

·
Administrator
19,874 Posts
Religion falls under the Canadian Charter of Rights, ferry rides do not and we are starting to see several churches have getting some serious legal support and what a lot of people aren't seeing is that the Crown is quietly dropping many of these charges.

The police media's haste to show the Grace Life Church as the enemy of the people has turned their pastor into a martyr and and the Crown quietly tried to drop all charges after keeping him locked up for the better part of the month. The pastor and his lawyers demanded one charge remain so they can still challenge it.

Ironically, while church services are restricted in Alberta, restaurants and pubs are doing brisk business. If any community infections had come from these churches, we would have heard about it but as of Friday, four restaurants and pubs are currently closed for contact tracing and deep cleaning, with one assumed to be responsible for as many as 30 community infections.

·
Premium Member
21,017 Posts
Religion falls under the Canadian Charter of Rights, ferry rides do not and we are starting to see several churches have getting some serious legal support and what a lot of people aren't seeing is that the Crown is quietly dropping many of these charges.

The police media's haste to show the Grace Life Church as the enemy of the people has turned their pastor into a martyr and and the Crown quietly tried to drop all charges after keeping him locked up for the better part of the month. The pastor and his lawyers demanded one charge remain so they can still challenge it.

Ironically, while church services are restricted in Alberta, restaurants and pubs are doing brisk business. If any community infections had come from these churches, we would have heard about it but as of Friday, four restaurants and pubs are currently closed for contact tracing and deep cleaning, with one assumed to be responsible for as many as 30 community infections.
This is one thing I can’t figure out. The stupid optics and science of what’s open and what’s not. Bars and restaurants open, airlines flying, some protests encouraged, others not and keeping churches closed. i saw one list that riding on a pontoon boat was considered higher risk than flying. I know when I had a peanut allergic child, airlines were something that really worried allergists and parents. Now it is magically okay for Covid, but not peanut dust for some reason.
The story that masks didn’t work, which was quite obviously a lie because they didn’t want people buying them up in a shortage, etc.
Science needs to give us the evidence based facts and not subject it to politic spinning from either side.

·
Registered
10,380 Posts
Religious groups must comply with all Provincial and Territorial health guidelines and acts. Each province and territory has the right to determine these guidelines as has and is happening. Right now in Ontario with the new province wide emergency break effort in place "religious services, rites, ceremonies and related celebrations must comply with the Reopening Ontario Act Opens in new window. During this time, it is recommended that faith leaders limit in-person services to keep everyone safe.
  • Host virtual services to allow everyone to participate.
  • Limit gathering for physical distancing & better ventilation.
  • Monitor proximity for physical distancing & wear a mask.
  • Limit duration when people are together indoors."
If Alberta does not have any such guidelines or acts then that is a provincial determination. And given that Alberta has not been very successful in their management of Covid-19 this may change with the new surges and the declaration by Premier Kenney that Alberta is in its third wave.. As of Thursday the number of active cases in the province was 8,653 — more than double a low of just over 4,000 in February and the highest count since Jan. 25. 1100 new cases on Saturday alone.

And if there is ever a federal guideline then everyone will have to comply. Churches or meeting houses have already and can determine if they want to enforce their own health rules such as masks and limiting attendance. That has and is also happening all over Canada

·
Administrator
19,874 Posts
Religious groups must comply with all Provincial and Territorial health guidelines and acts. Each province and territory has the right to determine these guidelines as has and is happening. Right now in Ontario with the new province wide emergency break effort in place "religious services, rites, ceremonies and related celebrations must comply with the Reopening Ontario Act Opens in new window. During this time, it is recommended that faith leaders limit in-person services to keep everyone safe.
  • Host virtual services to allow everyone to participate.
  • Limit gathering for physical distancing & better ventilation.
  • Monitor proximity for physical distancing & wear a mask.
  • Limit duration when people are together indoors."
If Alberta does not have any such guidelines or acts then that is a provincial determination. And given that Alberta has not been very successful in their management of Covid-19 this may change with the new surges and the declaration by Premier Kenney that Alberta is in its third wave.. As of Thursday the number of active cases in the province was 8,653 — more than double a low of just over 4,000 in February and the highest count since Jan. 25. 1100 new cases on Saturday alone.

And if there is ever a federal guideline then everyone will have to comply. Churches or meeting houses have already and can determine if they want to enforce their own health rules such as masks and limiting attendance. That has and is also happening all over Canada
Quite a few churches are backed by a very strong group of constitutional lawyers. I'm have a feeling that the Grace Life Church is onto something because the Crown was pretty quick to start dropping charges after they had legal representation.

They are also quietly dropping a lot of other foolish charges, including the extremely dangerous pond hockey player.

·
Administrator
19,874 Posts
This is one thing I can’t figure out. The stupid optics and science of what’s open and what’s not. Bars and restaurants open, airlines flying, some protests encouraged, others not and keeping churches closed. i saw one list that riding on a pontoon boat was considered higher risk than flying. I know when I had a peanut allergic child, airlines were something that really worried allergists and parents. Now it is magically okay for Covid, but not peanut dust for some reason.
The story that masks didn’t work, which was quite obviously a lie because they didn’t want people buying them up in a shortage, etc.
Science needs to give us the evidence based facts and not subject it to politic spinning from either side.
Our county council made national news because they wrote a strongly worded letter regarding erratic rules like those you mention. Communities are starting to push back at erratic rules and the fact that after a year, temporary guidelines aren't really temporary.

Just a few of the erratic temporary health guidelines:

We can have 25 kids in classrooms across the province, but those same kids became a threat to society if they attend a 4H meeting.

My community quickly figured out that 10 people can be present at Grammy's funeral but the local Legion is considered a licensed establishment and can legally accomodate 50. It's not perfect but it beats drawing straws to see which family members stay home.

Restaurants and bars are open and you can sit unmasked at a table but churches are considered dangerous, yet I've seen no reports of contact tracing leading to any church and only certain churches are being targeted by police.

There is great concern about a couple variants but when the variant strains were in the schools, they were not concerning nor were they concerning when an entire flight that was deemed 'fully infected' landed at an Alberta airport.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Our county council made national news because they wrote a strongly worded letter regarding erratic rules like those you mention. Communities are starting to push back at erratic rules and the fact that after a year, temporary guidelines aren't really temporary.

Just a few of the erratic temporary health guidelines:

We can have 25 kids in classrooms across the province, but those same kids became a threat to society if they attend a 4H meeting.

My community quickly figured out that 10 people can be present at Grammy's funeral but the local Legion is considered a licensed establishment and can legally accomodate 50. It's not perfect but it beats drawing straws to see which family members stay home.

Restaurants and bars are open and you can sit unmasked at a table but churches are considered dangerous, yet I've seen no reports of contact tracing leading to any church and only certain churches are being targeted by police.

There is great concern about a couple variants but when the variant strains were in the schools, they were not concerning nor were they concerning when an entire flight that was deemed 'fully infected' landed at an Alberta airport.
School is essential and there are plenty of safety protocols in place for them, as well the kids are in bubbles to keep infections contained to smaller groups. Adding non essential social clubs with kids from outside the bubble adds risks- such as the dance school in BC that had dozens somehow get sick then spread it to all their feeder schools. I agree 4H is important, but it is extracurricular.

Restaurants and pubs are not free for alls. Rules are strict, less tables for added space, masks worn to the table, and each table is supposed to be from one household. I think it's great and likely keeping businesses open instead of bankruptcy with the rules. I get plenty of take out and feel safe doing so. Businesses like this staying open is good.

Churches? Personally I'm not religious so don't judge either way. But a zoom service would be easy so do feel some congregants are just playing victims here. That said church is important community/social interaction- and everyone is missing out on this social time- not just churches. Yes it sucks- but they don't deserve to be on a pedestal while my beekeeping club can't meet in person. Churches are simply powerful with money behind them- and perhaps a pinch of anti-science to go along with it :)

·
Administrator
19,874 Posts
School is essential and there are plenty of safety protocols in place for them, as well the kids are in bubbles to keep infections contained to smaller groups. Adding non essential social clubs with kids from outside the bubble adds risks- such as the dance school in BC that had dozens somehow get sick then spread it to all their feeder schools. I agree 4H is important, but it is extracurricular.

Restaurants and pubs are not free for alls. Rules are strict, less tables for added space, masks worn to the table, and each table is supposed to be from one household. I think it's great and likely keeping businesses open instead of bankruptcy with the rules. I get plenty of take out and feel safe doing so. Businesses like this staying open is good.

Churches? Personally I'm not religious so don't judge either way. But a zoom service would be easy so do feel some congregants are just playing victims here. That said church is important community/social interaction- and everyone is missing out on this social time- not just churches. Yes it sucks- but they don't deserve to be on a pedestal while my beekeeping club can't meet in person. Churches are simply powerful with money behind them- and perhaps a pinch of anti-science to go along with it :)
I’m not ‘one of those’ either but the Canadian Charter seems to think they have rights and I strongly believe our Charter needs to be upheld. Wasn’t that the reason all those BLM protests were not shut down?

Additionally, why were essential schools closed last year?

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I’m not ‘one of those’ either but the Canadian Charter seems to think they have rights and I strongly believe our Charter needs to be upheld. Wasn’t that the reason all those BLM protests were not shut down?

Additionally, why were essential schools closed last year?
We’ve got an actual nation of free men down here, wr. Your kind is welcome any time.

There’s some paperwork to do, but it’s not too bad, and it’s well worth the hand-cramp if you’re willing to put in the work.

Plus, it’s endlessly entertaining to talk **** about your Queen. Come be an unwashed rebel with us.

·
Registered
34,279 Posts
Crown, Must, Comply

Three little words

Reactions: JeffreyD
1 - 20 of 50 Posts