calf

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by steff bugielski, Feb 12, 2004.

1. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a calf for maet in the fall. I would like to purchase a young calf now and raise it till early winter and then slaughter. My reason for the early slaughter is I don't have space to keep it over winter. Any available at this time of year other than at auction? Don't want to travel to far, I'm in NY state.
    steff

2. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

The local stockyard is probably your best bet on finding a suitable calf. You have a lot of choices and you know you are paying market price.

If you want to slaughter at 1,000 pounds, you probably need to look for a 500-700 pound steer. Black is beautiful and from the back it should look about like a barrel with legs. If you are going to supplemental feed to put in intermuscular fat, then you may be able to put on 500 pounds between now and early winter, but that would be pushing it. If you are going to predominately forage feed, then you need to start with a higher weight calf.

If you can do your own castrating, then you might consider a bull. Say there is a 10 cent per pound difference that day between equivalent steers and bulls. For a 600-pound bull, you thus save about $60 by doing it yourself.

Ken S. in WC TN

3. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

If you don't want to go to an auction, ask at the feed store, your local large animal vet or farm store to see if anyone knows someone who has some calves for sale. You can also try posting a note on bullentin boards saying you want one. While your asking, ask about prices too so you don't get overcharged.

I'd sell you one, but I'm in Illinois. Probably not cost effective to go that far :)

Make sure your new calf has had it's shots, is castrated and de-horned (if needed) and has been weaned for at least 30 days. All that is not totally necessary, but it will help ensure that you get a nice healthy calf to start with and will help to avoid the expense of these things and illness due to stress.

If I am looking at calves, I look at them from behind. They should be thick through the rear, with their legs nice and straight under the corners of their bodies. The thickness should carry through their entire back. Calves whose legs are close together, with skinny rears, so not bring as much. From the side, they should be good-bodied....equal depth from shoulder to hip, without really long legs. Not much eating on legs!

Jena