Homesteading Forum banner

Calf wont take calf starter

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  101pigs 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I have not been a farmer for many years - like many, many years! Well, here I am, trying to remember everything I learned as a kid. I have an old, tired brain. LOL.

I have a 1 month old Jersey calf. It does not want to take calf starter feed. I have tried to put some in its mouth. It eats it but never shows interest in eating the starter on its own. Essentially not eating starter at all. I am looking for ideas on how to get it to start eating the starter. It will nibble at grass but is not eating a lot of that, It seems content to have the milk bucket.

I have seen mixed reviews on the Purina starter, which is what is available to me.

Any ideas welcomed.

#7 ·
Purina starter is the very best. My Calves love it. I start them out at about a week old. They just eat a small amount at first. I keep them on it for about 3 mos. They will grow a lot faster and really do a lot better with the starter you are using. It may take awhile to get yours used to it as yours are already a month old. Just keep giving it to them and soon they will eat more of it and grow a lot faster. The starter you are using is a bit over 20% protein. The texture of that feed is just right for your calves. Put feed in a bucket and make sure to change the feed every day. Water is very important also. Make sure your stock gets plenty of water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.