calf with worms

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by uarelovedbygod, Aug 10, 2004.

1. uarelovedbygod

uarelovedbygod Well-Known Member

Today a local farmer gave me a black angus bull calf--2-3 weeks old. It appears to have scours and runny eyes/nose. I am also concerned because his backside and base of his tail are wet and covered with small 1/2 inch thin grey worms. I see them in the diarrhea as well, so my assumption is that these arre intestinal worms. They don't look like maggots.

I had some pyrantel pamoate (for worming dogs) and in desperation gave it to the calf. I should know in a few days if this works or not. I am curious if the worms in the hair along the backside will also die off, or do I need to somehow bathe the cow to get rid of the external worms? Any suggestions would be helpful.

2. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I strongly suggest a vet is you want this calf to live.

Jena

3. MARYDVM

MARYDVM Well-Known Member

Those little grey worms are maggots - they will crawl into the rectum in severe cases. The flies are laying eggs in the hair crusted with manure, and the calf is probably too sick/weak to keep them away. Definitely wash the area, and apply some kind of fly spray, but the calf needs a lot more help than that if he's going to make it.