calf went down

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by SHELBY, Mar 18, 2004.

1. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

:waa: I had a calf go down this morning. She has been doing fine..She is about 8 weeks old. When I found her this morning she was sort of dog sit laying with one front leg stretched out in front of her and one under her. She looked like someone just pushed her down from a standing position. She is not doing well at all she seems to be having seizures or something because she is jerking and won't stand at all. No signs of being sick, no fever, no scours,. Last night though she did look like she was getting a littler thinner, but ate like a pig. What could have happened to her? I don't have high hopes on her making it....

2. jennifer_b

jennifer_b Member

Shelby, I dont know what could have happed to your calf (not that experienced yet) but Im sorry to hear she's down. Keep us posted.

Let me know why this happend and if she makes it for my future knowldge in raising calves.

Again sorryto hear shes down

Jennifer

3. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Is the calf on a cow or a bottle?

4. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

She is weaned, She has been for about a week. She was eating about 1 1/2 lb to 2 lb of grain plus 2-3 leaves of hay a day. She pretty much gave the bottle (bucket of milk replacer) up by her self about a couple of weeks ago...We made it available for her though and she stopped drinking it about a week ago...

5. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Call your vet immediate - or better yet, load her and take her in.

Anytime a calf is health one day and down the next I suspect blackleg.

Ken S. in WC TN

6. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

My guess is haemophilus.

Get vet help now as it will probably spread.

Jena