calf training

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by AR Transplant, Sep 20, 2004.

1. AR Transplant

AR Transplant Well-Known Member

This is the third time I am attempting to post. Hope it works.

I have a 4 month old jersey calf heifer that I need to train. I can hardly lead her any more without her almost leading ME around. We have lead her around just about every day, then we didn't for two weeks and now it's almost impossible for me to do it.

Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Arkansas Transplant

2. dla

dla Well-Known Member

I read that you train a calf to follow a halter (or halter break) him by tying him to a post HIGHER than his head.
    He will be able to pull away from one lower.
    I will try to find the site for you, but frankly I've never done it myself.

3. DaleK

DaleK Guest

If you leave a rope halter on it during the day or part of the day with the lead trailing then every time the calf steps on the rope it remembers that it has to pay attention to the lead.

4. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

Don't leave the calf unnattended tied up to a post higher than his head, he will yank and pull until he flips over, and then he breaks his neck and no more calf.
    This has also been done with horses too.
    The lead left so he can step on it works, or a tire near his feet he keeps stepping on works too.
    Usually if you keep up with him and keep him in check with food etc. and talking to him, he'll be fine.

5. KesWindhunter

KesWindhunter Well-Known Member

I tie mine up to a post at the cow's chin level and give her about a foot to a foot-anda-half lead between her halter and the post.I always use a quick release knot when I tie anything up. (plus I always cary a sharp knife to cut the rope) She might throw a fit for a while, but I talk to her and maybe even start brushing her while she is being a hissy. I have had a couple of cows that were just plain rank so they stayed tied up for a week, and I fed and watered them right there. Their chins get pretty sore sometimes, but the way I look at that, whos fault is it, mine or hers? (her stepping on the rope does the same thing)and it sure makes them pay attention to ya when you pull on that rope!
    Make sure that you brush her all over and stand close (a kick doesnt hurt as bad when you are right next to her) Dont forget to start brushing her belly and udder, truly I have never met a cow that doesnt like that! But that way she will not be surprised the first time you milk her! Brush all down her legs and teach her how to stand. I always brush my cows from head to toe before I milk, It cleans them off and I enjoy the 'bonding' time with the ol'gals before I sit down and milk 'em.
    I dont give my cows grain when I milk anymore. It seems when they run out of feed and I'm not done milking they get ansy and want more feed (nothin' like having a cow put her foot in the milk pail when you are almost done milking!). SO now I just teach them to stand while I milk, then they get their feed.

6. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

We halter broke our calf (now a 1000+ lb. holstein cow) the halter with a short lead hanging down way that was mentioned in an earlier post (DaleK's). It is true that when they step on it, they stop and it trains them to do that. I made one with a rope that was around her head with the remainder hanging down. For her baby we are using a llama halter with a lead hanging down.

7. AR Transplant

Thanks for all the good advice. Leaving the rope on her sounds like the thing to do. She is practically in the yard so it will be very easy to keep an eye on her.

I will let you know how it goes.

I remember now that I was told to tie Isabella ( her mother) up when we got her to get her used to standing.

Isabella used to get all squirmy when I milked her and she got finished with her feed. I cured her of it by letting her stand a good 20 minutes after I was finished milking. She soon learned that just because I was finished it didn't mean that she was going any where.

Aren't milk cows fun?

Thanks again,

Arkansas Transplant

8. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

A few people I know use a donkey to train their 4H calves to lead. They tie them together and let them out in the pasture. The calf soon learns that he will go where the donkey leads it. There's no way the donkey will let the calf lead.
    I guess that's kinda like dancin' with your sister ain't it?

9. AR Transplant

<<I guess that's kinda like dancin' with your sister ain't it?>>

:haha: That's funny!

That would be a good idea, but I can just imagine what my husband (and neighbor who owns most of the land) would say if I said I wanted a donkey.

Perhaps I will just hook her up with a post. :(

Thanks

10. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

Gotta get me a Donkey, this just sounds hilarious to watch !!

11. KesWindhunter

KesWindhunter Well-Known Member

you should see 'em halter-breaking a foal! Talk about stubborn! Especially when the baby is pitchin' a fit on the other end of the rope! LOL! But the foals have some of the nicest manners when that ol' Donkey is done!

12. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Greetings from Montana: I dont own any cattle or milk cows, but I would love to someday! I think the donkey lead training the calf is a great idea. I let my older dog train my younger dog to walk on a leash that way and it worked great. Now on the rare occasions when they need to be leashed they stay right together and walk real pretty!