Calf still scared of me!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JulieLou42, Aug 16, 2006.

1. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

New 1/2 Jersey bull calf [born 7/10, banded 10 days ago] still is acting afraid of me. Has learned after one time with a bit of grain feeding and getting latched with the lead rope, and taken for a walk that he's not going to do that again! Am I going to have to learn to rope him? I cannot get near him, but he runs off, even if I stand there not doing anything for 5 minutes. I want to get him gentled out and to the point where he can be easily handled, not afraid of us.

Dam is 3/4 Guernsey x Angus.

I feed him and his mom twice a day, and talk to them both; he's nursing.

Need ideas please.

2. Hammer4

Hammer4 Well-Known Member

Do you have an area to work with him in like a small pen? When I have cattle to work with ( or horses that are playing catch me if you can ) I use the principal of pushing them into progressively smaller areas until I can do what I need to do...so move him into a corral, then into a pen, then you get in the pen with him and if you still can't catch him, treat him like a horse and run him in circles until hes tired and lets you catch him as an alternative to running further..he will learn that if you come to catch him, its easier to submit then to run in a pen for 15 minutes....

I don't mean run him until hes about to drop, just keep making him move away until he has had enough.

3. JulieLou42

I'll see what I can do to arrange that.

My 100' pen's on a pretty steep hill, so that won't work, but I do have some flat places where I could put up something temporary to get this job done...

Thanks much!

4. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

Hmmm, cows have a very long memory....if someone had banded me,,,i would be a little scareish myself.. it associates you with an unpleasant experiance...its going to take a lot of time associating you with a good experiance. food is going to be one of the best ways of building a new pattern. at any time you push a cow into a situtation it does not like is going to associate you with that feeling.

5. JulieLou42

I was there at the banding giving instructions to 3 teenaged boys, but he may have me associated with that. I was not inside his itty-bitty calf pen [all of 10 sq. ft] when we did it. He's been that way from the get-go.

He likes his momma's COB, but won't stay at the bowl long enough for me to latch him to the lead rope...he's VERY fast!

6. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Agree with the food thought. Everything has to eat sometime. Patience and more patience to you though. It is a good idea to get the animal tired out first though before you attempt any training. Just keep repeating what you do every day, calmly and patiently.