Calf pictures

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JeffNY, Sep 28, 2006.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Took some pictures of the calves.

[​IMG]
    This is a picture of all of them, there is a Jersey in the picture in the lower left, she is laying down. The calf in the far right is a Talent bull calf, he is about 5-6 weeks old, solid calf. The calf next to him is a herefordxholsteinxjersey cross, name is "petina". The calf next to her is named Psykhe, which is greek. Across the way starting in the back. Th black calf is named Isis, calf next to her is Alexis, and the calf you can barely see is the Jersey, not sure of a name yet. Here are a couple close ups of Alexis, Isis and the Jersey.

Isis
    [​IMG]

Alexis
    [​IMG]

Jersey calf
    [​IMG]

I would have the others, but the camera was full. Isis is from sully orbit, Alexis is a alta merchant calf, the jersey is a signature calf. The calf in the group picture on the lower right is an orbit calf.

Jeff

2. tbishop

tbishop Well-Known Member

Where did you get that shelter? Is it a kit or did you make it yourself? I have been conmtemplating just such a setup for a cold frame next spring. Please let me know when you get a chance.

Tim B.

3. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Great looking animals Jeff and Love the setup. Tennessee John

4. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Farmtek sells those shelters. It is called a moo-tel I beleive. Great place to get this type of stuff, I beleive it was 1500 shipped to me. Took a day to set it up, still lacking a few things that we haven't put on yet, such as the ends etc.

Thanks,

Jeff

5. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Is there a reason the calves each have a separate pen or can they all be held together as a herd too?

6. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

They are beautiful. And the building is lovely as well!

7. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

If you don't seperate they end up sucking on each others ears, navels, whatever they can get ahold of. I've seen calves ears froze where another has sucked on it. Also sucking on navals they can spread bacterial infections. Most people who raise many at a time seperate them. Makes them easier to feed, one will be hunching while you are feeding two others etc... You can put them together once you wean them. Or if you wait till after you fed an hour or so they don't seem to nurse on each other so bad. But if you have to feed before you go to work and after that makes that almost impossible too.

8. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

9. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Beautiful calves :) they look well cared for. I don't separate mine (raised by two's so far) and the ear sucking hasn't become a problem but I'm home and supervise and we haven't gone through a winter. I've discovered my Catahoula likes her ears to be sucked on and volunteers :)

10. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

There are other ways to tie them, some tie them in a barn, and are just out of reach of one another. These guys can interact with each other, they do such on each others noses after feeding, that doesn't have any risks other than a little salliva exchange :). They seem to do well in the pens, the one bull calf has done well, his energy isn't burnt running around, it goes into muscle. I would guess he is 200lbs, and he is 6 weeks old (moved him around the other day, he is rock solid). I will keep them in the individual pens for 2-3 months, depending on their size. I want control over their growth during the first 2-3 months. I am going to try accelerated feeding, more or less to grow them quickly, but not make them fat. I will probably feed these guys on milk for 6 months, I will feed grain as well. More or less perhaps a milk feeding morning/night, with grain mid-day. Ever see beef calves on their mothers for 6 months? They are well grown muscled calves. I saw some heifers raised this way, 6 months on milk (dairy). They have a lot of rib, and they were well grown. He shows, and has done extremely well.

Thanks!

Jeff

11. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

My cow didn't wean the one we're eating now till about 8 months, and he was well muscled. Born in late May '04, he was put on hay early -- wanted it! -- and had pasture [w/o much grass] during a lot of that time. He took to dam's COB pretty well, but I didn't feed him that very often. We made tablefare of him on Oct. 10th last year. We netted 688# of meat from him at about 16.5 months age. He was right around 1200# weight at the time.

I'd imagine Ginger will wean this one by the same time. He's gaining nearly at the same rate as last month -- 3.5# p.d. -- and still won't take but a little bit of COB -- and all the hay his dam will let him have, and whatever he can scrounge from their pasture at this late stage of growth, with so little rain. I needed to increase the size of his halter by two notches this time. I think he looks more beefy than dairy for the crossbreed that he is...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]