Calf Pen suggestions

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by travlnusa, Mar 8, 2005.

1. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

I have found a plan for calf pens that you can knock down when needed. I like this idea as we can break them down, or add, as space and numbers call for.

What I dont like about the plan is that they are made of wood. Very hard to keep wood dry to or sterilize it between calves.

Has anyone found something to "paint" or "coat" plywood with for hutches? I am guessing oil based paint is out, knowing the pens will be chewed on. Currently I am thinking of lots of coats of "barn paint", guessing it would be safer than oil, or am I wrong?

Looking forward for any and all ideas.

Thanks

2. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

The paint itself isn't important, the primer is. Use the best primer you can find, and cover it well. Or else you can use plastic lumber and plastic plywood.

3. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Are they for outside or in the barn? In the barn I love using cattle panels. They are easy to put together what ever size you want , easy to clean , and easy to move. I even use them outside in the summer. We even pasture our pigs with hog panels.

4. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

I really can not use hog/cattle panels as the pens will be next to each other.

Where do you find plastic plywood?

Thanks for the help

5. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

The only place I've seen it locally is at a used building materials store that buys it from a recycling company, that would be the best bet if you have someplace similar.