Calf Pen Size

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Tango, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I doubt any size pen would keep grass for very long but I would like them to stay relatively clean. Will share a common fence line. Combination pnels and 4 inch wooden posts every 8 ft. each will have a simple 3-sided shelter. How big if I plan to use to house 2 calves per pen overnight?
    Additionally where do people who allow their calves to stay with dairy mom, keep those calves as they get older in order to get first or second milking from mom? When do you wean and sell them? Thank you in advance.

2. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

A space 8' X 12' including shelter floor would seem adequate.

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thanks Up North. Then my 16 x 16 cattle panel square seems big enough :)

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

When we wanted to milk a cow plus have her raise a calf, we kept the calf shut away from the cow all the time except when it was milking time each night and morning. At milking time we milked out what the calf didn't take. After a few weeks the calf might take more than you want to spare him. In that case you milk first and give him the leftovers. We kept hay grain and water in the calf pens. An angus crossed with a jersey will weight more and sell higher per pound than a straight jersey as a veal calf. It was common for people to let the cow raise two calves. This works well with the calves shut up. That way you can be there whwn they suck and be sure the cows accepts them both. A sucking calf sells really high when he is very fat and weighs around 300. Even with two calves on a good cow, you should strip her out when they are full until you know they are taking all her milk.

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thanks Uncle Will. I was thinking of locking them up at night and milking first then letting them out together for the day. I won't need a lot ofmilk this year and. Karma raised two heifers and they did very well with her (and well for me). I was thinking of putting one on her after she calved for a total of two. She's not a heavy producer. I stopped milking her when she raised the two bottle heifers and they took it all.