calf not doing well, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by mtngal, Apr 5, 2006.

1. mtngal

mtngal Well-Known Member

We have a 10 week old calf. We have had her for about 3 weeks. A day after we got her, we had to call the vet. She had diarrhea, not too bad and a slight cough. He gave us antibiotics to give her, and she was fine after that.
    This morning when I gave her a bottle, she had trouble taking it. No diarrhea though. She was short of breath, had to stop taking it, cough a little to clear her airway, then take some more milk. She was fine last night. My husband gave her sub q antibiotics. When I got home and checked on her, she hadn't eaten her grain. She is able to get up, she is trying to eat a little grain now. Her respirations are fast. Her breaths are shallow. Her heart rate is fast. I am going to see if I can find a thermometer. Don't know her temp.
    I had read when they reach eight weeks old you don't have to be so exact with the temp of theit bottle. The last three times I gave her a bottle I didn't measure the temperature. It was warm but I didn't make sure it was between 95 and 100 degrees. I'm just kicking myself. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Describe the hair coat on this animal and the brightness or lack thereof the eyes. Sounds like the animal is badly in need of being treated for parasites.

3. milkinpigs

milkinpigs Dairy/Hog Farmer

It sounds like pneumonia/ upper respiratory problem.They shows sighns of appetite but seem to get choked when they suck the bottle.Talk to the vet and ask about an antibiotic called Nu-flor.She will need 6cc.Works quickly if you'll get right on it. You didn't cause this by giving her lukewarm milk; as long as the powder dissolved and mixes well, it's ok.

4. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

I agree with milkinpigs, about the pneumonia/ upper respiratory problem..

That sometimes just tends to hang on for quite a while and little things like colder weather will cause it to act up,

Do you know what the vet gave you to give her the first time?

5. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

It is pnuemonia, a shot of nuflor will fix her up. We used it on 4 Jersey heifers last March, and a couple beef cows, each one was better within days. Loss of appetite, gets a little skinny looking after a day or so, labors to breathe, that is pneumonia, happens this time of year.

Jeff

6. mtngal

mtngal Well-Known Member

My husband gave her oxytetracycline yesterday. We will give her a shot today and tomorrow. She was doing better this morning. I could hear rattling while she was taking her bottle, but she seems much better. I don't know what the vet gave her the first time, maybe Nuflor, as it was just one shot. I'm thinking pneumonia also. Thanks for your responses.