Calf losing hair

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by KatKow, Mar 5, 2005.

1. KatKow

KatKow New Member

I bought a part jersey dairy calf (about 3 days old when i bought him) he had a very rocky start. He was one of a few that i was gonna place on a cow that just had a calf. Well apparently we got him along with a virus and he had the scours and the whole bit. In fact i was told several times he was too bad and would not make it. I took him off the mama cow and bottle fed him Dumor Milk replacer. I started him off on a weak solution and worked it up with each bottle. He also rcvd electrolytes with microbials. And was treated on the 4 day treatment of Terramycin Scour Tablets. I did everything as it said and followed everything i have read on here that ya'll do. He is almost a month old now .
    But now on his backbone , close to the tail, he is losing his hair. The skin is not irritated, not red. He's not scratching. Nothing... just will fall out if you barely pull it. I think it may be from the stress his body went thru, or from the medicine. But i would love to know what ya'll think.

Thank you!!

~kat

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Your calf has cattle lice. Easily treated, ask your farm store what they have on hand for lice. If you live in an area that has grubs do not use a pour on general purpose wormer. If you do not have grubs in your area the pour ons do a good job.

3. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

Shouldn't you be able to see lice?? I've seen lice on chickens surely you could see it on cows.

4. wewild

wewild Member

It will be gone at the first rain in April........or just apply some powder for lice.

5. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

NO you cannot see cattle lice they are too small i asked my vet the same thing. thank god that lice is species specific :haha:

6. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

A fever can also cause calves to loose hair.