Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
We're in Wisconsin (can get VERY cold) and have always used calf hutches for our goaties. Our favorite brand is the Poly Dome round hutches, believe they are about 7.5' in diameter and about 4.5' high in the center. VERY durable, even when the wind took one. They heat up nice during the sunny days and are small enough they retain a bit of heat during the cold nights. If out in an open field, they do get hot during summer tho, so we always try to have electric wire spools/spindles out or trees or something else in the pastures for shade.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,441 Posts
I'm currently using several Port-A-Hut hutches. They look like quonset huts and are made of metal. I also have a couple "Calf Tel" poly calf hutches in use. Both are very serviceable for goat housing. I put pallets down for flooring, topped with sheets of plywood, and toss in straw for bedding. They stay off the cold, wet ground this way. Both kinds are good.

NeHi

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
We're in Wisconsin (can get VERY cold) and have always used calf hutches for our goaties. Our favorite brand is the Poly Dome round hutches, believe they are about 7.5' in diameter and about 4.5' high in the center. VERY durable, even when the wind took one. They heat up nice during the sunny days and are small enough they retain a bit of heat during the cold nights.
We LOVE the Poly-Dome calf huts. Very portable as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts