calf hurt HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by jenross, Mar 26, 2005.

1. jenross

jenross Member

We just got a calf home and it has a hurt toe. It looks like it was stepped on. The hard part of the toe is off on one of the back hoofs. He walks fine. We have the foot wrapped so it won't get wet. He is still pushy for his bottle and acts fine. Is there anything else we should do for him?Please help We would love the help. Thanks :confused:

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I would medicate the hoof and maybe wrap it. Then I would get a plastic bottle, cut the top out of it, punch a few air holes in the bottle, and insert the entire foot into the bottle and use duct tape to hold the bottle to the leg. The bandage could be changed every 2nd day then.

3. Valmai

Valmai Well-Known Member

I dont know what they are called (your vet should know) but you can get 'fake hooves' that you glue on to protect the foot while the hoof regrows.

4. cutinpony

cutinpony Active Member

Please use caution with wrapping the calf's hoof, even if you keep it dry on the outside of the bandage, the body heat and persperation can make enough moisture to cause the remaining hoof to soften and slough off. My father is a farrier for more than 20 plus years. I have unfortunately seen this happen in horses more than once. Keep him in a dry clean place stalled at night and not turned out until the pasture is dry, keep debris and manure cleaned off and from between his toes. Let nature take its course in the hoof regrowing as long as he is showing no pain or lose of appitite. Best of luck.

5. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

We had a hoof problem in January. She ripped the back of it off because of a hay feeder, metal came loose (they will be sold this spring, JUNK!) The vet wrapped it, left it on for a week (as advised). About 2 days or so later, the broken part fell off, and she is fine. She has a slight limp now, but each week it is less and less. Imagine it this way, what happens when you smash a toe nail? It hurts, then falls off, and slowly regrows. Same deal...

Jeff

6. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

Just keep it clean and dry. Put some salve or ointment on it and in time it will cure. We had a bull claf slice the bottom off his hoof, but it regrew mostly and now he is out working. Another time time a heifer got a piece of cheap electrical wire wrapped around hoof, and lost the entire toe. We kept and milked her for two years so we could get a heifer replacement. It amazes me what some animals can acheive with some severe limitations.

7. jenross

jenross Member

thank you all for your help. he is doing fine it appears. he still has a good eating habit. and is active. again thanks for ideas on making him better.