Calf Guard??

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by SHELBY, Sep 28, 2004.

1. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

Since we raise dairy calves for replacements and feeders and buy from the auciton. I know not the best way to get calves. But local farmers want top dollar for bulls and heifers that nobody will pay so they end up going to auction anyway...
    That said Have any of you ever used calf guard. It is given as an oral vaccine to calves.. Vet suggested it but I thought I would throw it to you all to see what you think.
    Do any of you have any suggestions for what to give to new calves coming into a small calf raising operation...

2. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what calf guard is, but if it's the scour vaccine, it has to be given within hours of birth to be effective.

Your vet knows the prevalance of disease in your area. They are the best ones to ask.

Jena

3. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

Jena It is a scour vaccine , but apparently the vet thinks it might do some good. I think it would be more of an experimental thing.. :)

Have you had any experience with the nasal spray vaccines. I did some research on the web and they are saying that the nasal ones won't interfere with the immunities they might already have...