calf advice please

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by steff bugielski, May 2, 2004.

1. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

I have a bull calf that I am raising for meat. This is my first try at this so be patient. He is a Holstien. He is about 1 monmth old. I have had him since day 3. He has been getting 2 qts milk replacer 2x day. He is eating about 3 cups total calf starter a day, hay free choice and he is now grazing all day . I was told to feed the milk replacer till the bag was finished. well it's empty and I feel He is too young to be weaned. Should I keep him on milk replacer fo anothe rmonth? Also I have been giving him the good stuff no fiber lots of milk protien. someone gave me a bag of milk replacer but it seems to have mostly soy protein. Now that he is eating hay and grass will he do ok on the soy?
    Thanks in advance Steff and "Mr. T"

2. Bar-W

Bar-W Member

Go ahead and feed the soy milk replacer.Give him calf starter and hay free choice.
    That is good that he is grazing too.He also needs access to good clean water.
    Bar-W

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Soy-based milk replacer shouldn't be used as the sole feed, but should be OK if supplemented at your said. Yes, on the fresh water.

Ken S. in WC TN

4. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

Thanks He really looks great nice and strong and very active . And growing. How long till he can be weaned?
    steff

5. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

I would only change the milk graudly so he will not get sick by changing his milk to fast.

Start him out on half the milk as you feed before and increase a little more each day until he is back to his normal amount.

As young as he is he should still get his grain at least 2 lbs a day.

Have you castarated him yet, should have already been done.