CALENDAR: New Year's Day

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by zealot, Jan 1, 2007.

1. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

First of all I have some confessions to make...
    I have not brushed my teeth, swept or vacuumed the floor, since last year. I have not taken a shower, cut my fingernails, or organized my desk since last year. I have not turned the compost, cleaned the sink, or changed my socks since last year, either.

Why, you ask?

BECAUSE IT'S THE FIRST OF THE YEAR!!! The year is only hours old!

And this is my first post of 2007 on this forum.

When the Gregorian calendar was adopted several cwnturies ago, the New Year was returned to January 1 from April 1 as it had been. Those who still partied on April 1 were called April Fools, but that's a different story.

New Year's traditions include organizing or cleaning the house (deciding how much of your stored stuff is worthy to be carried into the new year), and of course eating black-eyed peas, pork, and onion rings. The onion rings symbolize continuity because of their shape, and it is superstitiously believed by some that eating onion rings on New Year's Day will help the transition into the new year go more smoothly. Black-eyed peas often come eight to a pod, and come from the old tradition of the Feast of the Circumcision, commemorating the eighth day after Jesus' birth (which, if you believe Jesus was born on Dec. 25, would be January 1.)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Wow, that is interesting, the Jewish(Biblical) Calender Starts at the spring equinox, around March 21, and Passover is about 2 weeks later.

So is April Fools originally anti-sentimentalism against Jews? :shrug:

3. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Hope all my Celtic friends had a blessed Hogmany ceiledh :baby04:

4. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

It wasn't against Jews but against the French, who kept the old calendar. I'm sure Jews were called that too, though, since they kept that calendar.