Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are planning a garden and plan to gravel the paths. I'm looking for a calculation to figure how many cubic yards we need.

we have 389 sq feet to cover and would like it to be 3" in depth.

·
Registered
467 Posts
pcdreams said:
We are planning a garden and plan to gravel the paths. I'm looking for a calculation to figure how many cubic yards we need.

we have 389 sq feet to cover and would like it to be 3" in depth.
round 389 to 400,
3 inches = .25 feet
400 Sqft * .25 feet = 1000 Cubic feet. I got rock by the ton when it was delivered here. Soz but I have no idea on that conversion but it will also vary by the type of rock.

-- Tim

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys. I was multiplying by 4 instead of by .25

·
Registered
11 Posts
The formula we use for crushed gravel is L X W X Depth, all in feet, divided by 27, (27 cu. yards in a ton) times 1.5

For example: 36' x 36' x 4"

36 x 36 x .25= 324

324 divided by 27 = 12

12 x 1.5 = 18 ton

For bankrun gravel use 1.75 as the multiplier.

Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Before putting down the gravel be sure to put a good weed/grass control barrier under it if you want to maintain a recognizable path. Otherwise it will just be a more firm place in the grass.

Ken S. in WC TN

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ken Scharabok said:
Before putting down the gravel be sure to put a good weed/grass control barrier under it if you want to maintain a recognizable path. Otherwise it will just be a more firm place in the grass.

Ken S. in WC TN
got some landscape cloth. Did a brick walk a couple years ago and learned the hard way. :) Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts