Cajun Microwave??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by CountryLisa, Feb 16, 2004.

1. CountryLisa

CountryLisa Member

Do you have one or every built/use one??
    Lisa

2. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

I haven't used one but they seem to work. The thing I find odd about them is they are basically a box with the meat inside....but the fire is built on top of the lid.
    Seems like a waste of the heat that rises??
    I know they work good though! lol

3. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I feel extremely ignorant---please tell me more about what you mean "cajun microwave". It has to be a relatively new name since the microwave isn't THAT old.... help me out here! ;)

4. Well after doing a google search it is basically a giant dutch oven or you can say it works on the same principle. You place all the heat on top and it cooks downward. I imagine you could really make some giant biscuits in one of these. I'm glad you people have mentioned this cause it has caught my interest and now I'm thinking about building one for my self. I would like to build one big enough to cook a half a pig in.

5. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

They work well, and don't require much in the way of constant fiddling. The biggest gripe I have with cooking a pig in one, is that you don't get the crisp skin the way you do if hanging one in front of an open fire.

But they are a lot less trouble, and you don't need to cut a truckload of roast wood. :)