cage wire and babies

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Chinclub, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Chinclub

Chinclub Well-Known Member

I am new to rabbit breeding and we just had our first litter. The day she delivered I found one dead baby outside of the cage. Everyone else was safely tucked away inside the hutch is a nest. The more I think about it the more I'm thinking the only way that baby could be on the ground was if it fell through the wires. Now I am quickly approaching the 10 day mark and the babies will soon be leaving the nest. What is the largest the cage spacing could be and still keep newborns safely inside? I am breeding New Zealand Whites.

2. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

I would say the smallest would be 1/2" any direction. Some wire companies sell "baby saver" wire, normal 1by2 wire that has about 2 or 3 inches of wire every 1/2" on the bottom section. Not sure where you live, but up near the border of Michigan/Illinois (Damars) sold this. They do ship.

3. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

You really can't get any bigger that 1" by 2" wire for the sides and top and 1/2" by 1" wire for the floor. You can also get the "baby-saver wire" effect without spending the extra money. We buy 14 gauge galvanized AFTER weld (best you can get in wire, lasts longer, and easier on bunny feet than the thinner 16 gauge stuff) 1/2" by 1" wire for the floor. It's 36" wide, and we only need a cage 30" deep, so to make a 30" by 36" doe cage we cut a piece 42" long (remember the wire is 36" wide, so our floor piece is 36" by 42"). We then fold up 3" on all sides and put the cage together as usual. Once it's completed we have a 30" by 36" doe cage with 3" of baby saver wire along the bottom. The other nice thing about it is that it makes the cage VERY strong and rigid. The less cutting and the more folding you can do when building cages, the better.
    --rabbitgal