Cage sizes

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Caelma, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

I'm building my rabbit cgaes for Cals and NZ's and also
    Angoras. I want to do right by my critters.
    I'm just wondering if I am going over board, I just want there to be plenty of room for them to stretch out. And when the does have babies for there to be plenty of room.

I was doing the graphs/plans on paper tonight.

15 ft long x 36 inch wide (divided into 5 sections)
    with a divider every 36 inches.
    24 inches high.
    Each cage being 36 x 36 inches and 24 inches high.
    Is 24 inches high enough? It seems to be.

I am going to use 14 gauge wire for strength.
    I am going to do a drop box method. Cut a place in the bottom and cage
    in the area. This way all I need to do is drop the next box in.
    This way when a doe leaves the box with a kit attached.
    The kit can wiggle his way back into the next box verses it being on the
    wire waiting to be found.

What size nest boxes are recommended?
    I was thinking 10" x 12"
    or 12" x 14"

I still hadn't decided on a hanging method (hanging from ceiling with chains)
    or to just build a standing frame.
    Any ideas and suggestions appreciated.
    Is a 36 x 36 floor space over kill?

2. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

ranchlady43, here is my advice--Don't build your cages any deeper than you can reach. My cages are 24" deep and i sometimes still have trouble grabbing some of the rabbits when they get back in the corner. I can't imagine even trying to catch a rabbit in a cage 36" deep. Our cages for our NZW's are 24" deep by 48" long by 18" tall. If i had built them they would have been 36" long but i just took out the divider in a two hole 24 by 24 cage. Plenty of room for mom and 8-12 kits and nest box. Our nest boxes are about 10" wide by 18" long by 8" or 10" tall. You don't want mom to be real comfortable in their or you'll have problems. And last but not least, hang the cages. Much more sanitary and easier to take care of. Check out
    Bass Equipment http://www.bassequipment.com/nesting.htm for subteranian (sp) nest boxes. Good luck, Randy

3. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as over kill. The more space, the happier and therefore healthier your rabbits will be. It is recommened that the minimum be .75 square feet for every pound of bunny. Your cages *could* hold a 12lb rabbit. Most rabbit cages are 18" high. You could do something real nice for your rabbits and make a platform out of wire mesh for them to sit on. 10" off the ground, so they can sit 14" up. Rabbits love platforms.
    I also agree that the hanging cages are more sanitary and easier to clean.

4. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Is that .75 square feet for each pound of doe, or for each pound of bunny total? So for a 12 pound doe and eight four-pound babies, that's 33 square feet? Can that be right?

5. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

18 deep by 24 wide is what we had our small breeds in, for large breeds I would recommend 24 deep by 24. Definitely don't make it deeper than 24, you won't be able to get them. :) You could do 18 deep and then do it wider...

6. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

=======

Hanging cages are best for ease of cleaning up underneith ,, the industry standard for Cals and NZs is a 24 inch x 36 in by 18 inches high wire cage ,,, this is plenty big enough for a doe with kits till at least 6 weeks after that a large litter may crowd ,,,

a 3ft deep cage is a female dog to get rabbits out of the back ,, I made the mistake of having hubby build our first hutch real big ,, a 3 ft x 3 ft by 8 ft ,, 2 over 2 ,, each is 3ft x 4ft by 23 inches high ,, I have to climb in the dang things to get rabbits from the back corners ,,, Its great for the does ,,, but its a good thing I had hub build the doors 15 in x 15 in so I can fit ...

7. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

The "industry standard" for meat rabbits tends to vary quite a bit. 24" deep is the more common for ease in reaching the rabbits, but 30" x 36" is also popular, particularly for producing does and grow-out cages. Height tends to vary anywhere from 14" to 18". Top loading cages are becoming increasingly more popular, as well. Platforms are not recommended due to injuries sustained from falling off of them. Broken backs are common in such cases, and not all rabbits will use the platforms (mine wouldn't). Larger cages may be needed only if you prefer to market directly from the does cage. Otherwise, most will wean the litters before they ever reach 4 lbs. each. Don't make the nest boxes too large so as not to encourage the doe to stretch out or to remain very long in it. Hanging cages are definitely cleaner and easier to maintain. Using racks (frames) leads to problems... anywhere that the cage rests on the rack/frame, that's where the poop will pile up and be difficult to clean and to keep clean.

Ranchlady43... It was nice talking to you by phone, this morning. I have posted your request.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, 2005 ARBA Commercial Department Committee

8. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

I like 30" by 36" by 16"-18" tall for my Cal brood does, though it can be difficult to reach the smaller rabbits in the back corners (and I have long arms). You probably shouldn't go any deeper than 30" or the rabbits will be able to get away from you in the far corners of the cage. Ditto for hanging cages.