Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a cage using 16 gauge wire be too flimsy? The cages would be 30x36. It would likely hold 8 rabbits from birth to dressing. Or, would there be a required support in the middle like rebar?

I cannot find 14 gauge 1/2x1.

thanks

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
If you use 16g, your floor will sag unless you give a bit more support. Also, the door will invite escapees. A clip at the top and bottom at a minimum will be needed, and door stiffeners will help.

I built one cage from 16g and that is the last one.

Peace,
Curtis

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
My wire doesn't even say what it is. It just says 1/2 x 1" 10' rabbit cage wire and they had 1x2" rabbit cage wire. That's the only info on the label. I don't really want to ship in wire but I may at least have to ship in the floor wire. Every other location for wire had no better than 19 gauge. I believe in very southern east Iowa there was a company with all sorts of wire and containment materials. Only place with electric poultry netting I was looking for at the time and it was free shipping for Iowa and northern IL at least for various poultry nettings. Not sure about actual wire. I'd have to find it again.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have found it is more about the spacing vs the gage.

Here are mine:

The first one is the kindling hutch. The bottom has larger spaced wire, to allow the mother access to food. The little ones can sometimes get out through them if the ground is not perfectly level.

The second and I feel best is 1x3inch spacing. Does not sag, good access to food. Keeps them in.

The third is 2x3inch (I think). The smallest of the bunnies in this pic can slip through sometimes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Most people aren't building on the ground. The logistics are a little different for hanging or stacking cages. The main issue is that there is no other support for the rabbit's feet. Bigger than 1x1/2 can cause hock sores even with resting boards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts