CAE testing-different in Boers?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jan in CO, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

This doesn't seem logical to me, but my friend assures me she was told by another goat breeder with a large herd, that you have to pull blood in a different place on Boers for CAE testing. Huh? Am I off base here, or is she right? If that were the case, where would you know to stick one that is a cross breed?? I can't imagine that Boers would have a totally different vascular system than a Nubian, but then, what do I know? Any ideas/experience? Thanks, Jan in Co

2. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

Blood is blood.
    They may be concerned about where to pull it from because of damage to the muscling, if the goat is for market, like when you give CDT. But if you are sending goats to market, why test for CAE? :)

3. Jan in CO

I suppose the reason some test Boers for CAE is to state that the breeders they sell are CAE free. The ones destined for market/meat wouldn't have to be tested, of course. The gal seemed to think the juglar vein would be located differently in Boers, but it doesn't make sense to me that it would be that much different. Thanks, Jan in Co

4. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

That's the silliest thing I've ever heard! A goat is a goat and the jugular is gonna be in the same place! Geez, even when they pull blood on one of my donkeys, it's roughly in the same place, but just sized down, for a goat. I wouldn't trust anything that person said!

5. Jan in CO

Just wanted to update on this question. I posted it then had to go out of town, so didn't get back on to thank you all for the replies. It didn't make sense to me at the time, and still doesn't. I'm going to contact the woman who told my friend about this 'difference' and have her SHOW me what she thinks is different, as it just can't be. I have the equipement, tubes, double ended needles, etc, so need to get this done on my herd. Jan in Co

6. Cloverbud

Cloverbud Well-Known Member

I've been a vet tech for 11 years, and while I don't know everything, I've never seen a jugular vein that wasn't in the neck :p Seriously, that's the only place I was taught to draw from on a goat.

7. Jan in CO

Thanks, Cloverbud! It didn't make sense to me, either! Sure, Boers are a bit more squatty and muscular, but as you said, a juguar is a jugular! Thanks for the reassurance. Now to find the site where the 9 year old girl is shown drawing blood from her goat for CAE/CL testing! Jan in CO

8. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I test my boers because I have both dairy and meat goats in the same facility. All of the samples go to the same lab (WSU), drawn in the same way, paperwork filled out the same. That's my experience anyway.

9. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I tesy my Boers and dairy goats the same way....a goat is a goat when it comes to the vascular system.

10. Mommyto5

Mommyto5 Well-Known Member

Can someone please tell me what CAE is??? I have Boers...but don't know what this is.

Thank you!

11. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

http://www.goatworld.com/articles/cae/
    "Caprine Arthritis Encephalitis (CAE) is a virus that affects goats in multiple ways. Most often characterized by big knees, the virus also does irreparable damage to the lungs as well and affects the immune system leaving the goat defenseless against most common ailments"