Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question will surely fall under the "Dumb questions by Clovis" category.

I got to thinking about the new limo, and all the recent limos, for that matter.

Obviously, the radiator area would be a weak spot in the car. For cosmetics alone, this would be an area that needs the normal look of a grill.

On the other hand, the Secret Service is not going to let the radiator be an achilles heel of the car.

Surely, this is a car that is going to see alot of idling, slow traffic, and parading. All of these things create lots of heat in the system.

This is also a car that will have AC running all the time, especially since the windows do not operate.

I would also think that a vehicle that heavy would need a transmission cooler as well.

How on earth did they design the cooling system to keep the car engine cool at all times?

Ideas?

As a side note, one graphic I saw said the limo had a diesel engine, with a top speed of 60 MPH. Do you believe that?

Clove

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
There's no reason for it to be that limited in speed so I'd think its top speed is quite a bit more. We're never told the real top speed of things like this IMO. There are undoubtalely things like synthetic oils and lubricants that will let the car run away wounded even if it runs hot. Shooting out the rad just gives it a reason to run. The car isn't a tank but it sure looks good for the job it has. Keeping your prez safe until help arrives.

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
Modern limo for VIPs is more like a vault with a view, basically the decorator version of an armoured personel carrier. Sure it has big or supercharged engine to move all that weight around. You would think they would go to an air cooled engine just to avoid somebody taking out a radiator.

On other hand this car will never be out on its own unlike limos for corporate CEOs and such. Its a mobile vault surrounded by a significant group of body guards and other vehicles with military backup on call. Sort of a land floatilla. Probably easier for an assassin to take out presidential helicopter or plane than this thing. Course luck and timing and Murphys Law can defeat the best laid plans of mice and men on some particular fatefull day.

·
tom
606 Posts
the "vital"parts of the limo are concelled.a bullet cant penatrate the vehicle.the limo can also sustain the prez for approx 4 hrs in times of need.the post by mean dean sums it up in a nutshell.altho not a fast vehicle,the prez doesent travel that far in the limo.any consideral distance is by marine 1 or air force 1. by the way there are 2 limos for the prez,and identical.
while stationed at the pentagon,i got a chance to look inside Bushes limo.really a basic limo with different seats but all the needs he could need,phones tvs fax etc.
and like hermitjohn,says a vault.

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So how are they keeping the engine cool?

I cant believe that the radiator is open and unguarded for gun shot or rocket attack.

Do you think they have a piece of plate steel, several inches thick, to protect the radiator and engine compartment?

If you had the room in the engine compartment, you could set up a radiator behind the plate steel, and provide cool air from a seperate blower system, right?

Or do they move the radiator to another location on the vehicle, where it would be more protected?

Interesting to think about. Probably some pretty good engineers working on that limo.

Clove

·
Registered
465 Posts
Electric fans could be used to force the air flow in addition to any other solutions reducing friction and overheating.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I think they would probably be using some sort of baffle system, think of a board on board fence and how you can't see through it but air can pass, something like that out of heavy steel to stop bullets but allow air to pass. Or, maybe like most modern cars where the cooling air comes primarilly from under the bumper rather than through the grill.

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good point!

I didn't even think about a baffle system. The only thing I could figure was a protective plate that had a gazillion small holes drilled in it, allowing for airflow.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
watch a demo derby and a car can go for a long time with a damaged radiator, all you need to do is get away from the danger area, and my guess is they are probably using lubricants that would allow a engine to run for a reasonable time with out coolant,

and who knows the radiator may be in the trunk, or even some type of additional or back up cooling system and a few valves.

besides with one of these on your side more than likely your not going to need to go to far, [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHU9znH-cHE[/ame]

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good thought FHM.

Now that I think about it, a derby car can run for a long time, especially with a good driver that can milk the engine for longer periods.

Can't watch the video because I am on dial up. Well, I could watch it, but it would take until mid Wednesday to get it to load. I will try to look at it when I am on WiFi next time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts